Chapter Eleven

*Kieran*

I guess you could say I'm oblivious to a lot of things. I won't deny that. It's hard for me to focus on things and I don't know why.

When we walked into the Flynn mansion, I had never felt more out of place. Here I was, dressed in all black, the only exception my ratty, red Converse. The feeling subsided when Sabrina glanced over at me with a bright smile. "Follow me."

I looked around the mansion in awe, already lost. Sabrina stopped, causing me to bump into her. I stepped beside her when I realized we were in the presence of an older man in his late sixties, along with a woman that looked remarkably like Sabrina, despite the orange hair. They were sat on recliners, both reading over papers. There was a stack on the coffee table in front of them.

"This is an old friend from school," Sabrina started. "I was wondering if he could stay in one of the guest rooms for awhile?"

"I'm Kieran," I offered.

Sabrina's grandpa nodded. "Of course. Kieran, my name is Robert. This is my daughter in law, Lilith. Sadly, my son isn't here. He's at work."

Lilith glanced between all of us with a pleased smile on her face. "I'll go have a maid prepare him a room." As she walked passed me, Lilith patted my shoulder. She disappeared down the hallway.

"Let's go get a snack," Sabrina suggested. She linked her arm in mine and led me back downstairs. "I can show you around the house some more tomorrow. My grandpa and mom both leave the house around eight. None of the staff are there from seven thirty to eight. We can run around a few times until you memorize it."

"Sure," I said dumbly. "Sounds fun."

When we finally got to the kitchen, Sabina said that there weren't any overnight chefs but there was plenty of snacks in the pantry. I didn't expect the granddaughter of a billionaire to have loads of cheap snack cakes, but that's what I found.

Lilith shook her head when she finally found us. The counters were littered with wrappers. "You two are disgusting. How can you eat that much junk food and not be sick?" Sabrina and I exchanged a knowing look. Lilith sighed, then chuckled to herself. "Kieran, I'll show you where you'll be staying."

***

Sabrina and I ran around the house several times the next morning, but I still couldn't memorize anything. I wasn't even sure how to get back to my room. We were sprawled out on the couches in one of the many lounge rooms when I finally saw a maid.

I glanced at Sabrina. "So, what exactly does your grandfather do?"

Sabrina sighed. "I don't know much. My grandpa is a chairman for this huge company that specializes in selling luxury cars. My mother works for him. he co-owns another company that he won't tell me about. My dad is a detective."

"That's interesting," I muttered. "My mom is a waitress."

"Do-" Sabrina was cut off by the same maid I had seen earlier.

"Aubrey is here."

Sabrina's eyes lit up. She jumped up and dragged me to the entrance hall. A girl stood there. She stared at me in confusion when she saw me. "Who's that?"

Sabrina let go of my hand and threw an arm over my shoulder. I smiled uneasily. "This is Kieran. Kieran, meet Aubrey. She's my best friend."

"I didn't know you had a boyfriend," Aubrey said, glancing between the two of us with raised eyebrows.

Sabrina ripped herself away from me. "What? It's not like that! Kieran is an old friend!"

"Why haven't I ever met him?"

When Sabrina stayed silent, I said, "It's nice to meet you, Aubrey."

Aubrey shook my hand after a moment of hesitation. "Are you guys up for watching a movie?"

"Sure," Sabrina said.

We barely watched the movie. The whole time we were laughing as characters got brutally murdered, cracking jokes, or planning out how we would survive the zombie apocalypse.

Aubrey clapped her hands together when the movie ended. "Oh! Did you guys hear that Head Rush was back in town?"

Sabrina met my eyes and coughed into her fist. I did the same in a desperate attempt to cover up my laughter. So much for secret identities.

"What's so funny?" Aubrey asked. "Are you both on crack?"

I only laughed harder. Sabrina tried to cover up by rambling.

Aubrey narrowed her eyes but said nothing. Her phone buzzed. She frowned as she said, "Sorry, guys. I've got to get to work."

"You have a job?" Sabrina asked. "Since when?"

Aubrey shook her head. "I'll tell you about it eventually. I can't right now. Bye."

When Aubrey left, you'd have to be blind to miss the disappointment on Sabrina's face. She shook her head and turned to me. "We better get to our job too."

***

Green Light was the last to show up. "Katherine is going to be at her estate tonight. Sorry I'm late, by the way. It took forever to get my coffee because of this stupid line."

Blue Blur's eyes flashed. "We'll make a move on Katherine tonight."

Gold glanced at me. "I'm assuming Blue Blur filled you in on everything you need to know about our plan."

I nodded. "I already knew who Katherine and Mendoza were. I've heard a few rumors that Mendoza hires people to pick kids up off the streets. Nobody knows why. It's terrifying."

Especially because I easily could have been one of the kids who got snatched.

"We'll figure out why," Blue Blur declared. "We're going to figure out every crime Mendoza had committed and bring her to justice. Let's go over the plan one more time, Green."

Green Light grabbed a piece of chalk out of her pocket. I tilted my head and watched as she started drawing a map of Katherine's house on the concrete floor. She drew little stick figures for the positions of all the security guards. Blue Blur and I were suppose to knock them out while Silver and Gold apprehended Katherine. Green Light would be on lookout.

"What happens once we apprehend her?" Green Light asked, looking up at Blue Blur.

"Don't worry about it," Blue Blur said. "Did you get the video footage I asked for?"

Green Light nodded and handed over a small camera.

"I'll be back soon," Blue Blur told us before racing away. She left a streak of blue lightning in her wake.