Chapter Thirty Seven

*Devin Harris*

People change, sometimes for the worst. That was Sabrina's case. She never really scared me before. Well, I was afraid that I'd lose Kit to her at first, but it's different from how I feel when she's around now. I was intimidated by her because Kit was suddenly obsessed with some speedster I didn't even know about. It terrified me. Losing Kit terrified me. Not Sabrina.

But now Sabrina was turning into something much darker. I use to admire her for being a good person, but when her mom died, she snapped. I know I shouldn't fault her for it, but that doesn't mean I agree with what she's doing.

Watching her descent was sad, but it just proves we're all victims of circumstance.

My phone started buzzing in my pocket. I frowned when I realized it was Natalia. What could she possibly want? We had just gone on a date. My initial plan was to ignore her call, then thought better of it. Kate already warned me that Katherine was in Iron Labs. If I ignored Natalia, she might think Kate told me. Then she'd grow suspicious.

After agreeing to meet her at Iron Labs in an hour, I hung up and got ready. I guess today was the day she'd tell me the truth.

Natalia was waiting outside, anxiously fiddling with her thumbs. Her eyes darted over to me as I approached and an instant grin spread across her face. It made me sick. Natalia waved for her guards to go inside before jogging over to me.

I looked up at Iron Labs, feeling unusually disgusted. I tried not to let it show. "What's all this about?"

Natalia closed her eyes for a second and took a deep breath. When she opened them, I jumped at her grim expression. "I...I have to tell you something. About Katherine. I've been l...lying yo you." She shook her head. "I'm so sorry. I found out she was going to blackmail me, to sell me out to Night, and I just snapped. I felt so betrayed. Please try to understand. I swear I didn't kill her. But I took her here and locked her up."

I pretended to look shocked. How was I suppose to understand a woman who burned down my cousin's estate with a whole security team inside? "Wait, what? I-"

Natalia cusped my face in her hands. "I love you with all of my heart, Devin Harris. Just say you want me back. Choose me. Pick me."

I grabbed Natalia's hands and squeezed them as hard as I could, trying not to tremble with rage as I met her eyes. "Of course I love you. I'll always pick you."

I wanted to wipe the smile off her face. I wanted to strangle her. I wanted to-

Natalia dragged me into Iron Labs and led me towards the elevator. Without having to say a word, one of the guards took out a key and inserted it into the keyhole. I raised my eyebrows when the elevator started to descend.

White light blinded me when the doors opened while I was attacked by the harsh smell of chemicals masked with lemon. I glanced at the security team as the escorted us down the hall.

"I'll show you around and tell you the research we do about supers here," Natalia whispered to me.

I couldn't hear what she was saying. I was too busy trying to look like I didn't recognize Kieran. My stomach dropped as I spotted him in a single file line. His eyes flickered over from Natalia to me.

The look on his face, the desperation and hope, killed me. But I would get him out. I couldn't forget the plan I made after Natalia called me.

"Devin?" I heard someone murmur. I turned to face Katherine, Kate's report about it ringing back in my mind. I scowled, then quickly wiped any expression off my face before Natalia could see.

Natalia smiled back at me. I nodded along when she asked me something, getting ready to drop the note in my pocket. I started to reach for it. If anybody saw, if anybody found it-

But before I could do anything, Natalia linked her arm in mine and dragged me away.

***

Two days had passed since my last visit. Luckily, I convinced Natalia that I was quite interested in the study of how the chemical led to people developing superpowers, so she brought me back to Iron Labs. I didn't spare my cousin or friend a glance as I walked by, the blood roaring in my ears as I pulled the note out from my pocket.

I dropped it on the ground. Nothing happened. I didn't dare risk looking over my shoulder to see if Kieran or Katherine grabbed it. The security team and Natalia wouldn't notice, but I was worried one of the other prisoners would see it and say something.

The plan had to work. It had to. I couldn't accept failure. I just needed Kieran and Katherine to work together. Otherwise, they were screwed.

***

Natalia sighed lightly, crossing one leg over the other. We were at her house, supposedly for a date. I couldn't help but feel nervous, especially since she looked so disappointed.

"What's wrong?" I asked.

Natalia shrugged. "Some supers tried to escape last night." My heart stopped for a moment. "Sorry, Devin. I would've let you start visiting Katherine, but now the lower level is under lockdown."

I leaned forward, grabbing her hand. "Isn't there anything you can do?"

Natalia's eyes widened before a smile spread across her face. "Actually, there might be. I was originally just going to transfer-Oh! I forgot to tell you about that. Kieran Reed, Sabrina's boyfriend, is Head Rush. Which makes Sabrina Blue Blur. I had someone bring him into Iron Labs for me. Anyhow, I was going to have him transferred to one of our other labs."

I really despised this woman. She made me sick. If only I could-

"There were two others who I was going to transfer with him, but now I can add Katherine to the list. That lab won't be on lockdown, so you could visit her over there. Ugh. Transporting supers with traffic in Iron Beach will be hell, though. It'll take hours."

I pulled Natalia into a tight hug. "Thank you so much, darling. You're so clever."

I hated this.

Natalia pulled away and kissed my cheek with a pleased smile. "The transfer will happen on the first of August, so we can probably go visit her on the second."

My thoughts turned back to Sabrina. If we killed Natalia then, we could easily get Katherine and Kieran. That's killing two, or maybe three, birds with one stone."

"Do you want to go on a date?" I asked. "On the first?"

Natalia chuckled but shook her head. "Sorry, but I have to go oversee a drug shipment."

"I could meet you there," I offered.

Natalia raised her eyebrows. "Wow. Are you sure?"

I nodded. "Yeah, of course."

"Okay, then. I'll text you the address tonight. Now, how about we skip dinner and go to the movies?"