Chapter Forty Three

*Samantha Tide*

Kate sighed and rubbed her temples. "It's just stressful. My contact in Iron Labs is suppose to tell me where they're taking Katherine. It's a new lab outside the city. I just keep thinking of all the way it could go wrong."

I drummed my fingers on the table as I tried to think of a solution. "Do you know what you're going to do?"

Kate shrugged, standing up. "I have the route the driver will be taking on my phone. I don't want to risk waiting for them to get to the lab. I'll have to leave soon so I can take out the driver."

I furrowed my eyebrows. "Are you going to...?"

"Shoot him," Kate offered. "Yes. Then I'll break them out."

"Kate," I scolded, though I wasn't sure why. Why should I care that she was going to kill someone?

Kate raised an eyebrow and tilted her head. "Yes?"

"You can't!" I exclaimed, trying to think of a reason why. "Natalia will know it was you."

She scoffed. "So what? I don't care about Natalia. She doesn't scare me. It's the other way around."

I crossed my arms. "It's way too risky. Your plan isn't going to work."

"What do you propose I do, then?" Kate crossed her arms.

I took in a deep breath. "I'll do it. I'd get to make an appearance again, too. It'll be killing two birds with one stone."

Kate smiled and shook her head. "No. I can't ask you to do that."

I placed my hand on her shoulder. "You aren't asking me. I'm telling you."

She shrugged my hand off. "Alright, fine. But come home straight after."

"I don't have the route," I muttered.

Kate pulled her phone out of her pocket and handed it to me. "You better not lose this. My password is 0000. The route will already be pulled up when you unlock it. You better leave now."

I went to go change into my suit, then stopped in the hallway. "One more thing. Do you have a gun that can shoot from a long distance?"

***

I watched the traffic as I waited for the van to show up. It was still two minutes away, according to Kate's phone. I couldn't stop wondering why I offered to do this for Kate.

Was it because she saved my life? Do I feel like I owe her? It certainly wasn't out of the good of my heart. I'm not a good person. I'm terrible. Did I do it to prove my worth?

My suit felt too tight and constricting. It had been a while since I'd worn it. I think Kate shrunk it in the dryer. I was thankful my mask didn't irritate me but other than that, I felt miserable.

"Ugh, how much longer is this stupid thing going to take?" I muttered, checking Kate's phone. I looked through the scope of my sniper, realizing it was already approaching. A small smile graced my lips as I let my finger rest on the trigger. The light was already yellow, so they'd have to stop. I squeezed it when I had my sights on the driver.

My jaw dropped at what happened next. The van flipped, hitting another car in the process. But it wasn't because of me. A truck driver had crashed into it. The stupid driver ran the red light before I even shot him!

I hurried to the fire escape, slipping and falling when I reached the alleyway. I was taking too long. The police would be here soon. I just hoped Katherine wasn't dead.

I pushed myself up and ran towards the scene. My feet stopped before I even processed it. The back of the van was thrown open. The two people inside weren't moving, hanging from their wrists because of the cuffs they were wearing. I took a step back. Katherine wasn't inside.

I ran back into the alley, feeling sick. I couldn't face Kate after this. I didn't want to see the disappointment on her face.

I climbed back onto the roof, grabbed my gun, and headed back to her house. She'd be at her self defense classes until two, so I had plenty of time to leave before she came home.

I just wish I had the courage to tell her I was sorry.

***

Hey! I just wanted to let everybody know that this will be the last chapter published this week. By the end of next week, the book will be completed! Thank you for sticking around until the end. All of your comments have meant so much to me and I want to thank you for voting.

But just in case you were worried about this being the end, I have some news! I finally started working on the sequel. It will take awhile to finally be released since I won't start publishing until I've finished the book.

One day I'd like to rewrite The Best Intentions. Nothing much would change plot-wise, but some events might be added in or rearranged to make it better.