Chapter Twenty Three

*Kit Pine*

"Hey, Sabrina," I greeted when I noticed her walk out of the training room, drenched in sweat. "Up for patrol?"

Sabrina shrugged and glanced around the empty room. "Sure. Where's everyone else?"

"Kieran just texted me. He's stuck in an hour long line. I'm sure it's torture. He went to get food for us. Aubrey and Devin got hangry and left. Samantha felt lazy and decided not to show up today."

Sabrina rolled her eyes and went away to suit up. I glanced down at my phone, checking the location we needed to head to. There was a super there calling himself Outage in the area, and he was a real nuisance.

I had many connections throughout the city, most of them introduced to me through Devin. Whenever they spotted a super, they would send me their location.

I glanced at Blue Blur as she appeared in front of me. "Let's go." I grabbed her arm before she could race away. "Wait for me."

***

"I can't see!" Blue Blur shouted, her voice panicked. "Where are you?"

I fumbled around in the dark, the blackness disorienting me. When I found Outage, I'd strangle him. He turned the entire area pitch black. Not even a star could be seen in the sky. We were trapped in a force field, to make matters worse.

I bumped into someone and immediately sent ice shooting up their arm. Blue Blur shrieked. The blood drained from my face as I let go of her wrist. "Sorry! I didn't know it was you!"

"I'm going to throttle you," Blue Blur growled. "Do you have a plan for getting us out of this, genius?"

"I do, in fact, have a plan. Stay close to me."

I hoped there weren't any civilians trapped with us, then figured we would have heard screaming if that was the case. Closing my eyes, I froze everything around me, except for Blue Blur, then made lightning strikes start going off.

I saw flashes of Outage in the dark as the thunder drowned out his screams. A grin appeared on my face as the darkness disappeared, along with the force field. I looked up at the cloudy sky, a sight I had gotten used to since I had taken over. I looked back at Outage as he took off running, grabbing Blue Blur's arm shoulder to hold her back.

I bit my tongue when I realized what I was planning to do. Shooting Outage with a bolt of lightning would upset Blue Blur.

So I did nothing.

"What are you waiting for?" Blue Blur asked, shrugging my hand off her shoulder. "Never mind. I'll get him."

I watched as Blue Blur became a streak, racing off to capture and take Outage to the police station. I shook my head, looking down at my feet as I waited for her to return.

I was getting too soft. I couldn't even kill a nuisance because my friend's feelings were more important.

***

I glanced at Sabrina and Kieran cuddled up on the couch, a feeling of despair welling in my stomach. I didn't know why. Devin was reading a magazine on the other end, sitting next to a jealous looking Samantha.

Devin held out his hand, rage spreading across his features. "Kit! Look!"

I squinted. "Look at what?"