forty

This is not the final chapter. There is one more after this, as opposed to an epilogue. Please enjoy.

Louis' POV

I laid in my bed for hours. I curled up in my blankets and let everyone at the daycare know I wouldn't be coming in the next day. I was way too extremely sad to go and try to run a business. I just didn't understand how he could leave like that. In the middle of the night - and I still hadn't stopped thinking what I did wrong. If I did anything wrong or if this was just some fucked up thing he was going through. But if that was the case, why couldn't he let me help him go through it? I scrolled through my Twitter timeline, seeing random posts about Trump and Shawn Mendes, before a notification appeared at the top of my screen.

iMessage from 'Dumb Bitch.' Lottie had texted me. Of course she had. Some sort of sibling telepathy I think - she always knew when something was up, whether I had told her or not. Once when we were younger, I was really sad for a couple of weeks because of some bullying at school. Even though she was only 10, she came up to me and asked what happened. She grew up way too fast. It should have been me taking care of her, but she was always so much like our mom. She never wanted to do anything but help me.

How are you doing? Is all she had typed. So simple, but so thoughtful. I know that her heart wanted her to type a million words, paragraphs upon paragraphs, about how she missed me and hoped I was healthy. I had seen her only last night, but I knew she never stopped thinking of me, or any of our siblings for that matter.

I typed, Not good, how did you know? I didn't want to worry her too much, but I would never lie to her. Especially about this. She's one of the one people I could trust anymore. I trusted Harry with everything in my heart, and he just walked out of my life a few hours ago.

I just felt something was up, I don't know. What happened? She typed.

Louis: Are you busy? It's be easier for you to just come around mine tonight and let me tell you.

Lottie: I'll be there. What type of issue is this? What should I bring?

Louis: Harry and I, we broke up.

Lottie: Wine, ice cream, and fuzzy pajamas. I'll see you any minute.

Louis: Lot, I'm not one of your girlfriends.

Lottie: Did you not want the wine & ice cream?

Louis: Please bring it, I love you.

Lottie: I love you too.

And I know she meant those last few words. With everything in her heart, she only ever wanted to take care of me. I loved her so much. Now that I thought about it, I didn't want to be alone at all. I still wanted to lay inside for the next few days, but I didn't want to do it alone. I would probably end up doing something drastic or scary. Or just staring at a wall for hours, waiting for Harry to call me, which - even though I was depressed - I knew would never happen.

Within 15 minutes at most, I heard my front door downstairs open up. I sat up slowly in bed and sat my phone next to me. I walked out of my bedroom to the railing, where I could see down to my living room. I looked down at my small, pink haired, little sister and waited for her to turn around and see me. I looked over the railing and saw her look around before she said, "Lou?" Loud enough for me to hear.

I laughed a bit and she turned around to finally see me, snickering softly at her.

She rolled her eyes quickly, and then held up a pink tote bag, probably holding the wine she had promised. "Where are the glasses and spoons?" She asked with a small smile. I walked down the stairs to where she was standing and took the bag from her.

I tried to give a smile, but it looked very forced. I walked into the kitchen and she followed me. I left the lights off in the house, letting the sun beam through the windows for enough light to see. I opened up a cabinet and pulled out two wine glasses, then opened a drawer somewhere below it to pull out two spoons for the ice cream she had brought.

"I really appreciate this, Lot." I said quietly.

She smiled at me widely and nodded. "Of course, I just want to help. Breakups are hard, I don't want you, of all people, to have to go through this alone." She took the glasses from off the counter with the spoons in her other hand and I carried the bag upstairs. I sat down on my bed and looked up at her. I must have looked damn miserable because she immediately sat down next to me and hugged me tighter than ever. It wasn't a fun hug, or a hello hug. It was a tight, loving hug. And I felt so bad for making her come over to make me happy. That wasn't at all her job. But nonetheless, I hugged back.

"Thank you." I said, into her shoulder, resting my head in her neck.

"Of course." She whispered softly, rubbing her hand on the top of my back. I pulled away from the hug and wiped my eyes to prevent tears from forming.

"Tell me everything, what happened. I was with you guys like 20 hours ago." She said, pulling a bottle of white wine out of the tote bag she had brought. She began pouring one glass when I started talking, focusing on both things at once.

"We came back here right after the show ended. Everything was going good. Really fucking good." I said the last few words as she handed me my glasses of white wine. She nodded, understanding what I was alluding to. She began to sip on her identical drink. "And afterwards, we were just laying together. And long story short, he left. He said he was done and asked me to take him home."

"Out of the blue?" She asked, a small amount of shock on her face.

"Kind of." I said, quietly. I tried not to relive the horrific moments, but it was hard not to remember every achingly awful second of the last few hours. "I told him I loved him. For the first time." I added slowly. I listened to the words carefully as they poured out of my mouth. We had been dating for nearly four months, had I moved too fast?

She gave a pitying look to me. "That's so sweet. Why would he leave because of that?"

I shook my head and took another gulp of the drink in my hand. "He said earlier in the night he didn't think he was ready to say he loved me just yet, and I took that fine. But, then we had the most intimate, passionate time of our relationship. It was better than the first time, and that was when we couldn't keep off each other. I just don't know why such an intimate time was a trigger for him to leave me." I caught myself tearing up as I finished the sentence. She took out, and opened up, a tub of ice cream, then handed me a spoon. I looked at the green ice cream, "Mint chocolate chip? How'd you remember?" I asked sarcastically, but it sent me into a smile - a real one this time.

"There's that smile!" She said loudly - excitedly. She stood up again in front of me. "Come on, kid, we're not staying in here all night."

I rolled my eyes at her calling me kid, "Lot, I'm older than you."

She giggled a bit. "That's beside the point - get up, we're getting you dressed and we're doing something."

"I don't think so." I said, a frown creeping up on me. The thought of me getting out of bed and going outside made me feel even more depressed. I didn't want to have to face the rest of the world feeling so down in the dumps.

"I'm serious, get up!"

"And go do what?"

She waited a moment, not having a response ready. Her face lit up after about 10 second, signifying that she had an idea of what to do. "What's today?"

"Sunday." I replied.

"Awesome!" She said, and grabbed my hands, pulling me up off the bed. "The fair is in town and tonight is the last night, you'll have a great time!" She exclaimed. I was sure I wouldn't, but I had no more energy to argue with her on such a topic.

"Fine." I said, simply.

Her smile grew even wider. "Awesome! Now get up and get dressed! We're going to the fair!"