Chapter 3

The morning after going out with Anko and Kurenai, I awoke to sunlight streaming in through my bedroom windows. It was the worst possible thing I could imagine.

As soon as my eyes opened, I snapped them back shut and winced from the painful sunlight. Just that little glimpse of light made my whole body erupt in aches. I threw the blankets completely over myself and gripped at my head, willing the pain to stop. I rolled over to face away from the sunlight, thinking I could try to go back to sleep. Rolling over proved to be a mistake though when a wave of nausea came over me. I barely made it to the bathroom before the contents of my stomach spilled out.

I groaned and laid my sweaty cheek against the cool toilet. This was the other reason I never drink, and especially not as much as I drank last night.

Through my splitting headache, I recalled the events of the previous night. I actually met, and talked to, Kakashi Hatake. And apart from almost revealing that I watched him from secret, I didn't embarrass myself.

Despite how much I felt like shit, I found myself smiling as I remembered our brief conversation.

But then my conversation with Anko and Kurenai came into my memory, where they accused me of having a crush on Kakashi. The smile fell from my face at how ridiculous their accusations were. Last night I may have been a little confused about how I was feeling. But this morning it was clearer what had actually happened. I had met my longtime idol, so maybe my admiration had come across as something more. I had no feelings for Kakashi past that.

Even though I denied it, I was pretty sure Anko and Kurenai wouldn't let it go so easily. They'd continue to tease me over how I had acted. They'd likely be watching to see how any other interaction between Kakashi and I go as well. I'd have to be careful from now on, and not let it slip how much I had paid attention in the past. I should quit spying on him anyway, no matter how curious I am. It would be for the best if I just moved on, and focused on my own ninja career instead of Kakashi and his career.

Besides, even if I did have a crush, a man like that had to have a girlfriend.

Once I was sure the nausea had subsided, I took a hot shower to help ease the hangover. Today is my first day as an official Jounin, and it would likely be frowned upon if I showed up for mission assignment hungover. I should've thought about that last night.

I stepped out of the shower and got ready, trying my best to appear completely sobered up. When I decided I did the best job I could, I left my apartment and went to go receive my first mission as a Jounin.

* * *

I stumbled into my apartment and threw my bag on the ground, wanting nothing more than a hot shower and a long nap. My latest mission had me gone for two weeks, and being back in my own home was the greatest pleasure I could imagine.

Missions as a Jounin are harder than missions I went on as a Chuunin, and often times longer as well. Despite that, the last few months have been like a dream for me. I had spent years working for this, and now that I'm here I spent every day proving that I deserve my spot.

I haven't taken much rest since my first mission as a Jounin a couple months ago. The Third Hokage keeps suggesting that I take some time off and recharge, but I've enjoyed every second of my missions too much to want to take much of a rest.

I've even gotten to work with Anko and Kurenai on a mission. We made a great team, which was unsurprising considering how much the three of us train together. Although, one disadvantage of working with people who know your abilities so well is they can tell when you're holding back.