Chapter 18

It's been a few weeks since I've joined the Anbu, and I'm back in the village on my first break from missions. Everyone was right when they told me Anbu missions were harder than regular missions, but I don't regret my decision to join. I'm so thankful to the Hokage for giving me a chance.

I was enjoying this break though. Unfortunately, the break wouldn't last long, but my next mission wouldn't take me away from the village. I've found out recently that the Anbu members do patrols of the village. We go through shifts, a few weeks where we're away on missions like crazy followed by a few weeks on patrol duty in the village. My patrol shift starts tomorrow, so I'm going to be staying in the village for the next few weeks. I haven't been in the village for long stretch of time like that since becoming a jounin.

I'd have to start finding ways to occupy my time while in the village.

I had today planned out though. A new group of students had graduated from the Academy, and Kakashi had been assigned his new team. He was testing them this morning, and I was going to resume my old habits and spy on them.

I got to the training grounds, and concealed my presence to sneak through the trees. I stopped when I saw three kids looking exhausted and angry. I laughed to myself, these had to be Kakashi's students. He probably told them to be here really early, and they didn't know him well enough to know that he's always late. It seems that I still arrived earlier than Kakashi.

I examined Kakashi's new group of students. There was a boy with black hair who had an unpleasant expression on his face. I got the feeling that his annoyed-with-the-world demeanor was permanent. There was another boy, and blonde haired one. Even though he was clearly tired from being here so early, he was still bursting with energy. Then there was a cute little pink haired girl. The two boys seemed to be bickering with each other, and the girl kept siding with the emo boy.

From first glance, they didn't seem to be able to stand one another. I wasn't sure they'd be able to pass Kakashi's teamwork test.

Finally, I spotted a familiar head of silver hair. His students started yelling at him for being late, and I just rolled my eyes at his lame excuse he gave them. Once Kakashi settled his students down, he explained the rules of his bell test. I've seen him give it so many times by now that I could conduct the test myself.

Before Kakashi could even say start, the blonde haired kid tried to attack him. It was easy to tell that this kid didn't listen well, but he definitely had spunk, which was something to admire.

Kakashi started the real exam, and the emo kid and the pink haired girl both ran off to hide and observe from somewhere. The blonde haired kid stayed though, wanting to fight Kakashi head on again. I raised an eyebrow, trying to figure out what this kid was thinking. He obviously wouldn't be able to defeat Kakashi in a head-on battle, so what was his plan? Kakashi humored him though, although it annoyed the kid that Kakashi was reading his stupid book during their fight.

The kid was losing the fight, and it was starting to become clear that he had no plan for fighting with Kakashi. I knew the fight was over when Kakashi got behind the kid, although I thought he might be overdoing it when I saw the hand sign he made. Until he shouted, "Leaf Village Secret Finger Jutsu: One Thousand Years of Death!"

And then stuck his fingers up the kid's butt.

My jaw dropped open in surprise, and it took everything I had to not laugh and give away myself. It was simultaneously hilarious and disturbing. The kid recovered quickly though, and continued trying to fight Kakashi. I had to admit, his determination was impressive.

Eventually, the kid fell for a trap and was stuck hanging upside down from a tree. Kakashi went off in search of his other two students, and ended up in a pretty good battle with his emo student.