Chapter 20

4 years earlier...
(Flashback part 1)
My favourite spot, under this tree. The shade is refreshing, it is secluded...relaxing. Nice to escape the hot Egyptian sun yet still enjoy the pleasures of being outdoors.
I still remember the day my mother and I planted it. She used to climb trees all the time when she was a child as she had lived in a land full of them. When we moved into our house there were no trees on our land. She said "Every child should have a favourite tree." So we planted it. Now it stands tall and proud and is a constant reminder of her.

"Chloe."
Tis odd, sometimes I can still hear her voice calling me.

"Chloe!"
My thoughts are interrupted with a hardy hit on the back of my head.
"Ouch!"

"We have a show to do! You must hurry."

"Lapis?"
Her voice is identical to our mothers.
She has her voice and I, her face. And moon? I am not quite sure. She is like an entirely different person. I like to think she has more of our fathers genes.

"Of course it is me. Please stop daydreaming under that tree all the time. Come, they are waiting for us."

We walk to the side of the house as usual. When we are approached by a displeased moon.
"What were you two doing? These people have been waiting."

"Chloe was daydreaming." Lapis states while fixing my hair. "Why would you lay under that filthy tree before a show? Now I am picking bits of palm leaf out of your hair."

"Chloe you are so ungrateful and irritating! You know how much I would love to be out there doing acts instead of announcing you two on stage every time from the sidelines. All because I have not accessed my psychic powers as yet. I have had enough of you not putting effort into this group. And do not even try to tell me about that traveling nonsense you want to do because it is so selfish for you to want to travel the world when we need all three sisters for this group to operate. Telling fortunes is all that we know how to do so we need to do these shows to make a living. Listen to me carefully, no matter how hard you attempt to do so, you cannot be mom. So work hard, stop spending time under that awful tree, and have real goals that benefit the group."
Moon finishes speaking and her face is flushed. I look at her astonished.

"Moon, that is enough." Says Lapis firmly

Lapis then takes hold of my hands in hers and Sighs
"Chloe, as sisters we should stay together correct?"

I nod my head

She looks into my eyes
"Alright, so please think more about everyone."

"Ready?" She asks

"Yes." I say quietly and obediently.

Quiet and obedient always.

We twirl out on stage and the crowd applauses
"The talented Silverado sisters everyone!" Says Moon with a bow and a grin from ear to ear.

"Thank you for the introduction moon. Now, I think that these ladies and gentlemen want to know their future!" I say attempting to act as enthusiastic as possible after forcing the same routine words out of my mouth for the hundredth time this week.

The crowd applauses eagerly.

As Lapis prepares the table, I over hear one of the men in the front of the crowd speaking to someone

"Did I not tell you that they were beauties? I come out and see em every week. I pay a cheap price and I can see em run around on stage. What I really want to see is one of em face down, ass up and fuck her senseless."

"I heard that just the three of em live all alone in that house. After the show should we pay em a little visit?"
He and his disgusting friend laugh obnoxiously.

I can tell Lapis also heard the comment. For a moment she stops what she is doing, closes her eyes and lets out a sharp breath. She then continues on as if nothing happened.

"Excuse me!" I shout at the two men

Lapis pulls me over to the side of the stage
"Chloe, you cannot get angry at every bad comment we get. We talked about this remember? We are women on stage and the majority that buy tickets are men. Therefore, such things cannot be helped. Please stick to the script." She whispers

I hate this. I want to do and speak freely. I hate being on this stage.

"Now, can I please get a volunteer to come up to the stage." Says Lapis

People eagerly stand up from their seats raising and waving their hands frantically.
Lapis points to a man in the back of the crowd.

"You! Sir, please come up to the stage."

The man was was tall and handsome. Yet, he looked slightly intimidating. He had hair black as night that was neatly slicked back, blood red eyes, and tan skin. When he saw that he had been called to the stage, he got up from his seat, and made his way up to the stage. as he walked towards us, he looked straight into my eyes as if he was staring into the depths of my soul. He then smiled a sinister smile that sent shivers down my spine.

Damn Lapis. She could have chosen the sweet old lady in the front.