14-A Girl Who Deciphered The Heavens

There was this girl I knew who could read the heavens as if they were novels.

I haven't the faintest clue how, but she seemed to comprehend that mysterious filigree of the divine light.

Every now and then, I would see her sitting all by her lonesome on the roof of our building.

She was on an important mission: her eyes sidetracked the asteroids so that they wouldn't fall down to Earth.

Once, she told me that human beings were divided into two groups: the ones who have terrestrial and the ones who have celestial bodies.

She promised she'd show me how to differentiate them.

After work, I was usually dead on my feet. I dragged my terrestrial body back home Monday through Friday.

While I had supper, I would wave at her from the window of my apartment. Her seraphic lips would wave back at me with a celestial smile.

I'd always leave my window open at night.

I knew just how much she liked open windows and closed people behind them.

To her mind, the windows were monographs that reflected the fragments of the sky.

One day I decided to join her on the rooftop.

But when I clambered up there, I found nothing but a pair of discarded red Converse trainers.

I knew there and then she must have left this planet for good.

She flew away as a blazing comet, barefooted, to the outer space where she belongs.

She left her trail in the brilliant calligraphy dissipated in the ionosphere.

A/N: Music theme song: The Beatles: "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds." Performed by: Cirque de Soleil