29-Welcome, Little One

Hey, you, little one! I'm Poly the Polymer. You can't speak yet. So listen. I'm the plastic whale toy over here.

We're going to be the bestest friends, you and I.

Shush now, don't you cry.

What's wrong? Both points are checked.

One: You're wearing clean plastic Pampers.

Two: You've just had a plastic bottle full of milk.

Hmm... I know how to soothe you! With a lullaby!

"Hush little baby don't say a word

Poly's gonna buy you a plastic bird

Here comes a brand new little boy,

To fill all our hearts and lives with joy!

There is a whole wide world for you out there,

Poly's gonna walk you through it with care.

Humans gonna make you jump through hoops,

Behave and integrate into your peer groups!"

But that doesn't mean you can't have fun.

I'll be there, every step of the way. You'll never walk alone.

I'm that imaginary friend to have a make-believe plastic cup tea party with.

I was your dad's green toy soldier. I can be your LEGO, too. Or your brand-new PS5, when you're a bit older and if you become a gamer.

Say your church prayers with MY plastic beads.

Decorate your birthday parties with MY balloons. You and your little buddies can feast from MY disposable plates.

MY razor will give you your first shave.

Buy cinema tickets for your girlfriend with MY credit card. And MY polyurethane willie-hats will help you two keep it safe.

Take plastic Tupperware and plastic bottles of water to work.

When life deals you wrong cards, reach for me.

When the existential crisis presses hard on you, you just need something bendy enough, am I right?

In leisure time, Poly can be whatever you want it to be: that mobile phone, that TV screen, that laptop.

House decorating? Say no more! Plastic fruit and plastic flowers are on their way, to mimic and overtake life.

We'll go on holidays together, every year!

I will be your parasol. A plastic straw on your refreshing drink. That plastic decor on the trees and a bottle that swims happily in the ocean as a perpetual part of your scenery.

It's time for that pesky old age? Your human teeth are betraying you?

Look no further! Poly will provide plastic dentures!

When you are incinerated and thrown into the ocean, microplastic will curl up next to you in the tummy of that fishy that swallowed your ashes.

Then we can sleep and snuggle together, forever. When plastic rules over the flesh, there will be no pain, old age, or death.

I'll be watching over you. I'm gonna help you see this life through.

All better now, aren't we?

That's it. Thaaats it, little one. Sleep tight now. Suck on your plastic pacifier.

I'll always be there to serve you. You'll always be there to serve me.

You need me. I need you. We depend on each other.

I welcome you, to the planet of plastic.

***

A/N: Theme song: "Bing Crosby: Too-Ra-Loo-Ra-Loo-Rai."