Chapter Thirty One

Dean is on Spencer the second she walks through the doors of Tony's mansion, his arms wrapped tight around her. Pepper and Sam lingering behind him, waiting for their own turn, Dean clutches to his baby sister. It's been too long since he saw her, for siblings that have pretty much spent every single day of their lives together, to go this long without seeing one another. Yeah. It's hard. Spencer hugs Dean back, clasping her fingers in his shirt, breathing him in. Tony walks in behind her with Trinity on his hip. 10 months old now. Sam and Pepper share a look before Sam is moving to his niece, Tony smiles handing her over letting Sam pull the girl up onto his hip. He smiles softly and kisses her head. Dean has yet to release Spencer. She shares a look with Pepper over his shoulder and then pats Dean's back.

"Dean" she offers, he nods and then pulls back rubbing the back of his neck.

"Sorry, just..." he starts, she nods and gives him a small smile. "Been a while" he admits.

"I know" she agrees touching his arm. "Here now" she adds, he nods and looks to Sam and Trinity, he cheers up, throwing on a fake happy.

"How's my favourite girl?" he asks moving to his niece. Sam and Spencer share a look, she shrugs and shakes her head knowing it's hitting them all hard. Especially the closer the end gets.

.......

Dinner is quiet, Tony and Spencer hardly look at one another, which of course goes noticed by her brothers but all of them keep quiet as they eat. Pepper clicking away on her phone as new messages come in and some to Rhodey as he texts. In fact Tony and Spencer have barely said two words to one another since they returned, other then when it has to do with Trinity.

..............

Spencer hands Dean a beer as he sits on the balcony overlooking the beach, he looks to her and takes it from her.

"So what's up with you and Tony?" Dean asks.

"Things have been tense since Hong Kong" she admits sitting with Dean who glances to her. "I think he keeps thinking this deal thing is a joke..." she sighs. "He made a comment about more kids"

"Oh" Dean offers catching on. "Yeah, bet that went well" she shrugs a little and pulls at the labelling on her beer.

"Not like I got anyone to blame but myself" she comments. Dean looks to her. "People are getting hurt because of the choices I made....that's on no one but me"

"Spence" Dean whispers, she looks down. "It's not just your fault" she looks to him. "I was supposed to look after you both, and look what happened.....It's not just on you" he takes her hand and sighs a little. "You're my baby sister, Spencer..." he kisses her hand. "You really think I want you to die? You really think this is what I wanted for you?" she sniffles a little as she starts to cry. "It should have been me" he tells her. "It should have been me that made that deal...."

........

Spencer walks into Tony's bedroom as she clears tears from her cheeks. She pauses a little seeing that Tony has set up a pillow and blanket fort in his bedroom, he and Trinity are curled up inside, Tony playing with finger puppets. Spencer steps closer and clears her throat.

"Can I join you?" Spencer asks, Tony looks up at her and nods a little making space in the fort for Spencer. They share a look as she climbs in.

"I'm sorry" Tony offers quietly as he pulls her closer to him, kissing her head. "We shouldn't be fighting" she shakes her head and snuggles into his side, Trinity sat between his leg tugging on the puppet on his finger. "I love you" Tony whispers into Spencer's ear brushing her hair with his fingers.

...........

Spencer sits propped up against the headboard as she writes another letter. Tony watches from the end of the bed and frowns a little.

"Put that away" he asks of her, she looks to him. "Please" he adds noting her look. She closes the folder and sets it on the bedside table. He kneels on the bed and wraps his fingers around her ankles before pulling her flat against the bed. "I've been a terrible husband" he offers, she shakes her head, he nods. "I have. I kept thinking....here comes the punch line" she looks to him softly. "But it never comes....you're really going to die" he whispers sadly. "I'm terrified, beautiful" he admits. "But I know you are too and I keep forgetting that....I keep forgetting that you are going to loose sooo much more then me" he runs his hands along her legs. "I should be....making you feel better not worse...so I'm here" he leans over her, resting his hands beside her head, he nudges her nose with his. "For you" he adds and then kisses her. Spencer pulls her knees up to his side wrapping her legs around him, hooking her feet together, he leans forward onto his elbow, letting his free hand travel the length of her body.

...............

Spencer wakes to Tony bouncing on the bed, not like a child but just dropping into it. She turns around to face him, he has a tray of breakfast in his lap and a dopey smile on his face. She pushes herself up as she yawns.

"What are you doing?" she asks, he sets the tray over her lap and kisses her cheek.

"Morning, beautiful" he whispers softly. She reaches up and cups his stubble covered cheek. "Don't worry I didn't actually cook it" he assures her. "I had that waffle place you love down the road deliver" she smiles and leans closer to kiss him, he hums against her lips and then pulls back as Trinity starts crying over the monitor. "I'll see to the Princess, you eat...." he hops out of bed and heads off leaving Spencer slightly confused by the new Tony.