Chapter 16: Rescue

"Were you guys trying to rescue me, or trying to get me to rescue you?"

"Well... of course we were trying to rescue you, but I don't know how we got caught up in all this."

"Hmm..." Zap stared at the motionless figure, who didn't dissipate but instead fell, like a normal person would do. Angel was clinging onto Zap, like her life depended on it (which, technically, it pretty much did.) I could see nothing more but the light emitting from Zap's electricity. He began to ask, "How will we—" when I pulled out Neutron's drill from my pocket.

"This handy little thing," I said, "can get us out."

"Genius Neutron," Zap said. No matter how far he was from the Academy, he still knew that any inventions must have been the work of Neutron's. "Um, but I'm pretty sure the drill wasn't meant for digging upwards, because how are we going to get out?"

"We could... stab our weapons into the earth and climb out like that?"

"That's a pretty good idea," he said.

On the other side of the hole was not the Academy.

It was another mob of those figures. "I don't have time for this," Zap muttered. He grabbed each of our hands and zipped us across.

"Hold on! They're going to pursue us if we don't take care of them!" Angel let go and began to attack them.

"Hey! What do you think you're doing?!"

"Don't worry! I'll be fine!"

"No you won't! Look at all of them!"

"Just go on! I'm fine!"

"Angel!"

I still couldn't see anything but the low light from Zap, and now it probably was about to get brighter.

"You crazy—" Zap sped to Angel, grabbed her waist, and sped back to me. He then covered Angel's eyes, or else, that's what I thought he did, so I covered my own, and out of the corner of my eyes I saw a bright flash. 20 seconds later and I put my hands down to see them all gone. "Honestly..."

"Why didn't you just get rid of them from the start? You know how dangerous these things are!" Angel said.

"I... was... trying to... get us out quicker," he said. "But I guess that wasn't a good decision, was it now?"

"No, it was not. Come on, let's get out of here." She grabbed my arm, which made my vision come back, and started walking opposite the direction we came from. Zap followed behind, making sure that no more figures were there to attack. Well, I guess it would be better to say that Zap followed far behind. Like he was trying to avoid us.

Which he probably was.

💧 Two Months Later 💧

Zap and Angel broke up.

Oh, after what happened back there, they were fine, but tension started increasing more and more. Opposites may attract, but Zap isn't a Light. He's an Electric. Those two Elements aren't the same thing.

This breakup may have struck harder than it should've, because neither will even be near each other. Does Zap see Angel at the Garden? He's leaving. Does Angel see Zap as she passes the Electric Zone? She's taking a detour.

I did get chances to talk to both of them. It was as if they had never dated in the first place, because though they went further to avoid each other, they still functioned normally, with no guilt or such. Angel even asked me if I had any issues. As if asking if she was okay was an issue.

As for Zap, he regarded it for a rhetorical and just said, "Yeah, fine. Need anything?"

I'm going to be incredibly honest. I saw their relationship as a miracle, something where everything had to be crafted correctly for it to succeed.

They were perfect.

A single slip-up and it just collapses.

Now... I don't know how it'll work out.