Chapter 18: Unpatchable

"I appreciate the thought, Pacifia, I really do, but that's may not be why we broke up."

"What?"

"Have we not told you?" Angel asked. "My bad. Let me tell you why we broke up.

"So I guess what you do know is that we had a little quarrel back in that cave, right? Then it started getting worse and worse... we almost had an actual fight. It was to that point where we both agreed to break up and keep it calm."

"Angel, no!" I said. "That doesn't mean that those attacks didn't affect you! That may be the reason you two were fighting anyway!"

"Maybe," Angel replied. "You do have a point. I can't really remember the topics we'd argue about."

"Exactly! I'm going to grab Zap."

"Is that such a good idea?"

"Sure it is! Trust me, by the time this is all sorted out, we'll have the answers and we'll be back on the right track."

"If you insist. I'll be here, I guess."

💧 Electric Zone 💧

"I don't think that's how it works," Zap started.

"It may be," I said, pulling his arm, "and so we just have to see. It's been a handful of time, not to mention you two have been apart, so it's a game of chance at this point. Why not play it?"

"Sure," he said. "But just make sure that if we start fighting, just try to stop us."

"Of course," I said. "I'm trying to get you two back together."

"Are you positive that your claim about those figures is correct?"

"Not entirely. But I have a good feeling about it."

"Well, just remember that I was brutally harassed."

"Oh, stop it. Here we are." I saw Angel, who was just casually sitting down, staring at Zap, who was doing the same to her. "We'll be fine on our own," Angel said. "Thanks for your help, Pacifia."

"Okay," I said. "Just be careful."

"We've got this," Zap said.

"Bye."

"See you."

I walked away. Hopefully they can sort things out without an issue. That would be fantastic. But then again, they might still be affected and may fight...

I made up my mind. I snuck around and hid behind a rock to hear their conversation.

"What do you think?" I heard Angel say.

"She might be right," came Zap's reply. "Though we can't be sure."

"Okay. Well, if she isn't right, or if it doesn't work out, we're friends, right?"

"Definitely. Just like the beginning."

"A single year since then, huh?"

"Yeah... the year did fly pretty quickly. We're also already 3 months into this year or so."

"Yeah."

"Hey, about Pacifia's idea..."

"Mm?"

"Do you really think those figures could've really affected our emotions? Is that their strongest attack?"

"About what you said, it could be one of their attacks, but it may not even be their strongest. What if they can go further than just manipulating emotions? What if they can manipulate sanity, or maybe—"

"Maybe. Like I said, we can't be sure."

I let out a soft breath. Things were going well so far. Maybe I can leave them alone...

"Zap, about Pacifia."

"What is it?"

"Do you think she's been acting weird lately?"

"Well, maybe it's because of us. Plus, you've asked me this before."

"I have. But that was about River. This is about Pacifia."

"Well, I don't really see an issue with the way she's acting."

"Oh yeah; you're a guy, and you wouldn't know."

"Well, it's true. Likewise, can you understand some of the things guys do?"

"Not specifically... I guess you have a point. But even as a guy, you could see a difference in how she's acting. I mean, you talked to her more than me last year, didn't you?"

"Under odder circumstances. It wasn't easy to get a grasp of how she 'normally acts,' especially with how we were at the beginning."

"I remember the beginning. I helped you come to terms with Pacifia and Quake."

"Yep. Admittedly, it was one of the reasons why I started liking you. You seemed like a great help in many cases, including that one."

"Well, that's me for you..." Angel paused. "Maybe Pacifia was right. Those figures manipulated our emotions, and now that time has passed, their effects wore off."

"It's very probable."

"Even so, I don't think we should get back together."

I stiffened. I waited for Zap's answer.

"I—why?"

"Well, not only have we just broken up, but with all our differences—"

"Interruption. Opposites attract."

"—we might not be able to work things out after this downfall. Even so... I feel embarassed saying this, but I don't always feel the most comfortable around you."

"Is it my personality?"

"No! In fact, that's why you were so amazing! It's just that... I don't really know... but I just started growing uncomfortable..."

"I see. Though opposites attract, opposites are still opposites."

"Yeah. Well, I'm heading back. It's late." I didn't notice the sky begin to darken.

"Until then."

I tried my best. And I guess that's the best it could've turned out.

I just wish that they would get back together. They were a perfect pair, but who knows? Maybe there's more people even more compatible with them.