Chapter 1

For a lot of people, moving is considered as a fresh new start, a breath of fresh air, but that's not the case for me. After my parents died, I had to make a choice, marry Mr Walsh, whom I didn't know at all or to move in with my sister, Elizabeth. Guess what I did, I packed my bags and moved from Cape Town to the City of Gold, Johannesburg.

And that's why I'm in this cab looking out the window and watching the big buildings pass by. The cab comes to a stop and I step out with the driver carrying my luggage for me. This is it. I take a step towards the door and prepare to knock, taking deep breaths. I haven't exactly been talking to Elizabeth as much as I should have been, although we never really had much of a relationship. I pay the driver and take my luggage before I knock on the door and I hear some fidgeting as the door opens. "Elizabeth" I say a little too cold to her, I stare at her like it's the first time that we meet. She has dirty blonde hair and  has her hair up in a bun, her brown eyes popping out because of her smoky eyed makeup. She is still in her sleepwear and I wonder if she stayed up all night at the coffee shop again. "Hey Zoey, won't you come in?" Elizabeth's words take me out of my thoughts and I get in. It smells like coffee and it feels like I haven't been here in forever when it's actually been three years. There are baking recipe books scattered all over her table and Melonie, her cat is sprawled across her beige couch. "So, how was your trip sis?" Elizabeth talks yet again. "It was tiring, which is why I wanna be excused so I can take a shower and sleep" I reply back, and without waiting for a response I go into the room, shower and take a little nap.

I wake up at 20:00 pm and I'm surprised I slept for so long, I move down to the kitchen and I start looking for something to eat when my phone vibrates and I see that it's a message from my obnoxious Ex boyfriend, Xavier. I don't even bother reading it, he should send it to Bianca, he could sleep with her couldn't he?? I grab a banana and go back to bed. The house is eerie quiet and I assume Elizabeth is asleep too, it she is not at the coffee shop.

***
I groan as I feel like the sun's rays are shining directly into my eyes, I really am not a fan of summer mornings. I head straight to the shower and spend an absurd amount of time in there, trying to delay the "looking for a job process." When I'm done with my shower I get dressed in a jean and baggy top that I took from Xavier. He is not getting his clothes back. I observe myself in the mirror and notice that I gained some weight, I am not the skinniest person on earth, but I'm petite, with a round face, black eyes and pretty plump lips, as I finish observing, no, more like staring at myself, I take my laptop and put it on my bed, ready to job hunt. This might take a while.

Hey guys, thank you for giving my book a chance and reading it, this chapter was more like an introduction to the main character. The story is about to begin. 😁