Chapter 23

Zoey's POV

I can't believe what I said. The words that I uttered. Why? Was it necessary?

It has been a week, a week of bliss, heaven. I moved out of the motel, Tyron couldn't "bare" seeing me there, so he bought an apartment for me, for us.

It is still in Glen Waverley, but I must admit, it is a beautiful apartment. To be honest, I don't know how and why I agreed to move, to move in with him, but I did.

I don't know what Tyron and I are doing. We still have a contract, I still don't know anything about Elizabeth and Paul, but the Becca issue has been sorted, for now.

I stare at the mirror. I can't believe that the reflection that is staring back at me is me. If that even makes sense.

I look healthier. Ever since Ty found me, I look healthier. What is it about this man? I'm even considering moving back to Johannesburg.

I step out of the bathroom smiling at myself. I'm in a happy mood today, and that means just one thing. Yellow!

I open my suitcase and look for my happy dress, and my happy shoes, which in this case are slippers.

Subtle make up will have to do, my hair in an updo and a light pink lipstick.

Today, I'll go out for breakfast. I'll also go to the local library and get me some good reads, I'm gonna have a productive day.

---
When I woke up today, Tyron was not in bed, for the first time since we got the apartment, he left without telling me. I was worried, but I don't want to be clingy. I need to prove that although I love him, I am my own woman.

Walking down the streets of Glen I remember the coffee shop I had pancakes at when I first arrived here. I follow my feet leading me to the place with the best coffee aroma.

I enter inside, a cool breeze hits my face, the bell ringing over my head, the aroma entering my nostrils.

I order my now "usual" and take a seat.

The waiter comes with my order, he looks familiar, a set of brown eyes that can never be forgotten, a sharp english nose, broad shoulders and striking black hair.

He places my cup and pancakes on the table, focused on pouring the coffee, he looks up and smiles.

"Anything else Ms?" He asks, pulling me from my thoughts.

"Leo?" I blurt out, I remember him.

"Vannessa?" He utters my beautiful name, I had almost forgot that he calls me by that name.

The story of why he calls me Vannessa is actually quite funny. Back in high school I was a bookworm, but also quite naughty.

My friends were cheerleaders for the rugby team and Leo used to play for the team, one time after their practise, all my friends were with their boyfriends while I was alone, drafting a essay which was due for English.

He came up to me and we started talking, the conversation got heated and we ended up at the back of his friends van, kissing and making out with him.

My Dad was supposed to fetch me but sent me a text that he wouldn't be able to, so imagine how surprised I was when Leo was pulled off me by who else but my Dad!

The first word that he uttered were "Vannessa", and that's how Leo started calling me Vannessa.

It might be funny now, but I was scared as hell that day. My Dad was parked right behind the van Leo and I were in, and he had watched us kiss and enter the car. I know. Embarrassing doesn't cut it.

"How have you been? You look so, bright" Leo speaks, pulling me out of my funny thoughts.

Leo always called any colour either than black and grey "bright". Come to think of it, I have never seen him in another colour either than black.

"I'm okay Leo, how are you?" I reply back, looking into his eyes, which were glistening as if he were looking at the stars.

"I've been good, listen, I kind of have quite a few tables right now, so I can't stay to chat, I'll leave my number with you and you can call me to set up a catch up date?" He asks in quite a very sure way, writing down his number in his order book and putting the paper besides my coffee.

"Don't worry about paying for your breakfast, it's on me" he says with a wink and a subtle smile.

Am I having butterflies in my stomach?

---
I get home around 14:00, I'm tired. I didn't make it to the library. I just took a walk in the park. Thinking.

I feel hungry, but not hungry enough for a meal, I open the fridge and grab a yoghurt and some grapes. This will do.

Tyron still isn't back, I'm starting to get worried. I open my purse to grab my phone in order to text him. I see a piece of paper.

Leo.

I contemplate on whether to call him or not, I shouldn't. Wait, I'm not doing anything wrong by calling him am I?

I dail his number. I gently place the phone against my ear, listening to the phone ring.

"Hello?" He answers, voice smooth like butter on freshly made pancakes.

"Hey, uhm, it's me. I mean it's -"

"Vannessa, I didn't think you'll call" he cuts off my sentence.

"Uhm, yeah. Guess I did" I let out a nervous chuckle.

"So, how have you been? I mean after the whole incident? Did they finally give him a well deserved sentence after all he did to you?"

I freeze. Memories come flashing back. I had buried that. It was long forgotten.

------
Hey guys. I am kind of back.
Thank you for your patience, there we have it. What do you think happened, what is this memory that Leo has just brought back?

Please don't forget to wash your hands, sanitize and be safe.