Chapter 21

Zoey's POV

I remember when I was a little girl, whenever my Dad came home from work I would rush to take his briefcase from his hands and sit him down. I'd then rush to pour him a glass of water with four cubes of ice, just like he liked it. It is still my favourite memory of us together.

He would pick me up and sit me on his lap, gently rubbing my back like a kid who needed assistance to burp.

"How was your day Vannessa?" he'd ask me, with softness in his eyes. I would then answer him by telling him all the silly stories that went on during the day.

When I think about it now, all I feel is sadness. The same man I saw as a hero sold me and my sister in order to settle his debt.

Funny enough, that's not the only sadness I feel, the fact that my child will never have that bond with Tyron is heartbreaking.

I decided to keep the baby. I will raise my baby alone. I will find a job. I will start afresh.

I don't know if Cape Town is considered as starting afresh or going back to the beginning, but this is it. Back to square one.

It's been almost 3 weeks since I moved from Johannesburg. The place that gave me the most heartache. The place that introduced me to the rest of my suffering.

Today is the 31st of December. A few hours before the new year starts. I'm going to make the best out of this. A new year is equal to a new life.

I glance at the clock, it's 09:45 AM. The sun is out and I can feel the heat against my skin.

I'm hungry, but I start with taking a long shower first, playing some Adele music like some highschool girl who got rejected by her crush.

I step out of the shower and stand in front of the mirror, it is a bit broken but I didn't expect any better from a shitty motel.

I've gained a bit of weight. A little more curve, way more boob.

---
I'm wearing yellow - my happy colour. I am roaming the streets of Glen Waverley. Trying to locate a breakfast cafe.

I might have grown up in Cape Town, but I've never been to this side of town.

I see a little coffee shop and enter. The little bell rings and indicates my presence. It isn't that full in here, but a few people turn back to look.

The smell of coffee hits my nostrils and I remember that I promised to stay away from caffeine.

I settle on decaf coffee and some pancakes. Eating slowly, I savour the sweetness of the syrup. I try and ignore my thoughts and look around the cafe. My eyes watering when they land of a old couple, feeding each other. Smiling and laughing.

How do people do it, grow so old together. Still so in love. Their love so pure and real.

---
I'm really tired, I miss interacting with people. Smiling and laughing.

A knock on the door interrupts me, it must be the pizza I ordered, I put the remote down and realize that I'll probably have to order a movie.

I stand up to open the door. Peeping on the spyhole I cannot believe my eyes. Why is he here? How did he find me? I even checked in with a fake name.

I take a deep breath and open the door. Looking straight into his eyes.

He pulls me into his arms and I am rendered speechless. He smells so good, but I push him away, realising that I'm still angry at him.

I gesture for him to come in. Still dazed and unable to speak, I close the door and follow him. I bend and open the bar fridge taking out 2 bottles of water.

"I'm sorry" Tyron speaks, his eyes watering.

I hand him a bottle of water, pulling a chair and aligning it with his position on the bed.

He opens the water and takes a sip. Looking into my eyes. He seems sad. His eyes move to my stomach, he knows.

Elizabeth might have told him, or is he just suspecting?

"Say something baby" he speaks yet again.

Baby.

He says it like everything is alright. Like he has feelings for me.

"Don't call me baby." I finally find myself to say.

"Zoey, look. I'm sorry. I need you to understand that all of this was out of my reach." he carries on, correcting himself and calling me by my name.

"How did you even locate me? Actually I don't want to hear this. Please leave Tyron. Please" I say. If I don't kick him out I'll listen to him. I'll forgive him. I'll live for him.

"But I love you Zoey"

---
Zoey is finally found. Yey?
Tyron said the three magic words, how do you think Zoey will react?

Please don't forget to comment and vote .