【30】

Somewhere far away, a phone rings, rousing me from a deep slumber

Somewhere far away, a phone rings, rousing me from a deep slumber. It feels like my limbs weigh a thousand tons, while my head feels like it was tossed into a washing machine for a couple of hours, throbbing with an ache that can only be soothed with painkillers and lots of water. I attempt a stretch, scrunching my eyes shut in the morning light, only to have my hand brush against something warm and alive.

What the -

Something groans beside me, shifting the sheets, and I squint, rubbing my eyes. When it's finally not so painful to keep them open, they bug out as my brain registers what I'm seeing.

"Taehyung? What are you - why are you -" I sit up, gasping when I notice that I'm wearing nothing but...oh, thank God. I've still got all my undergarments on. And by the looks of Taehyung's bare chest that is barely covered by the sheets, he's in the same state as me.

The phone stops ringing, and I collapse back onto the pillow with a sigh.

"Good morning."

His voice rumbles through the air like thunder. When I turn to take a look at him, my heart does a somersault. His hair. I've never seen it this messy, almost obscuring his sleepy eyes from me. His skin is golden and glowing, his chocolate flecked eyes focusing on me as a lazy smile curves his swollen pink lips.

"Morning," I find myself smiling back, closing my eyes as he caresses my cheek with his thumb, staring into my soul. He has a way of looking into me as if he can see everything, hear everything, as if he knows me inside and out. But how much does he really know?

"I've always wanted to do this," he whispers, his fingers now roaming to my hair, stroking it softly.

"Do what?"

"Wake up next to you."

That's when it all comes back to me. Last night.

Flashes of breathless kisses, heated skin and tangled limbs. But then there's a gap, a void of blackness that follows, erasing any coherent memory of what happened next. What happened?

"Did we..." I trail off, the brightness of the morning making it impossible for me to say things that would have been no problem the night before. Curse this sober daylight.

Taehyung's stare becomes vacant as he replays everything in his head. Then he begins to giggle goofily, licking his lips, so I whack his arm, lightly, demanding that he spit it out.

"Aria, we fell asleep, remember? We were too tired to do anything..." he wriggles closer to me as I let out a breath that I didn't know I was holding, draping his arm over my waist. We gaze at each other, openly, unabashedly, infinitely, until the moment is interrupted by the sound of that damn phone again.

Taehyung scrunches up his nose in annoyance. "That must be my mum, even though I told her I was with you yesterday."

"Your mum..." my eyes widen as I remember my own mum. Did she come home? And if so, did she check up on me? Or was she too drunk to care?