【37】

Glasses

Glasses.

He has glasses.

I blink at him as he cleans the lenses, inspecting it through the light before sliding them on. Then, finally, he turns to me, the gaping girlfriend who cannot believe she never knew this about him.

"How do I look?"

"Since when did you wear glasses?" I dive straight into interrogation mode, my brain trying to process the image before me. Taehyung. In glasses. My Taehyung. Wearing his glasses.

He looks hot.

"Since...early high school?"

I gasp.

"And you never told me? Or wore them in front of me?" For some reason I feel betrayed, but he just sends me a sheepish smile.

"I was embarrassed," he confesses. "I thought you'd think I was lame or something."

I fight the urge to roll my eyes. "Taehyung, sweetie, glasses are not lame. Why would you think that?"

I notice him avoid my eyes, playing with the silver ring on his thumb that he wears sometimes, and that's when I figure it out. "Did you get teased?"

He nods, swallowing. "Yeah. Just once, by my friends. Then I stopped wearing it. To be cooler," he looks up, his eyes even more emphasized by the glasses so that his gaze on me is even more unsettling than ever.

"Taehyung," I clasp his face between my palms, the fading bruises still evident against his smooth skin even after ten days. "You're cool no matter what. Got it?"

His eyes sparkle, lips tugging into a half-smile that blooms into its full potential. "I love you," he says in that casual way of his, except this is more than just an "I love you." The three words mean so much more now. Since that one night.

"I love you too. Now let's study, okay?"

I let go of him reluctantly, but not before he sneaks a kiss on my cheek, something he does a lot, but it never fails to...take me by surprise.

We finally finished the semester, the long grueling second semester of the year, and we are now preparing for our exams. It's strange, to have someone beside me while I study as opposed to last time, when I would hole up in my bedroom for days, doing so many practice questions that my head would spin and I felt like I was going insane.

Having Taehyung next to me keeps me from going insane. He keeps me sane.

But most importantly, he keeps me company.

Eomma has a job now, working shifts at a Korean restaurant in the city that is owned by a family that are friends of Taehyung's parents. And apparently Taehyung is friends with the youngest son, Jin, who is currently overseas somewhere, working, while the oldest son is married with a child on the way.