【34】

ᴛᴀᴇʜʏᴜɴɢ'ꜱ ᴘᴏᴠ

ᴛᴀᴇʜʏᴜɴɢ'ꜱ ᴘᴏᴠ

"Well, if it isn't my favourite little brother, Tae-Tae. What brings you here, baby bro? Did you miss us?"

I scowl as everyone laughs. I hate those nicknames. But I pretend to be unbothered by their mocking laughter, thankful that my voice is deeper and more intimidating now to conceal my nerves. "I came to make an offer, Vic. An offer you can't refuse."

His black eyes flash. "Is that so?" he exchanges a look with Frankie, his right-hand man. Frankie sniggers, probably finding the whole situation amusing.

I jut my chin and nod. "Yeah. And I'd appreciate it if you take me seriously."

Vic arches an eyebrow, leaning back in his chair and clasping his hands behind his head. The rest of his loyal followers keep their eyes on me, completely forgetting about the poker game they were just playing. Judging by how much cash, jewelry and other valuable stuff are piled up in the center of the table, they were already far into the game until I showed up. The grimy lighting illuminates the tendrils of smoke that curl from the tips of their joints, as well as the faded gleam in their eyes from the alcohol's effects. Maybe that can be an advantage to me.

"Go on, then. What's your little offer?"

It's not even funny, but everyone titters away at Vic's words, clearly high on all substances. I breathe through my mouth, trying not to inhale too much of it, because it always gave me the worst headaches.

"I'll work for you again, but on one condition." I stare him dead in the eye. "You leave Chae Ri alone."

"Cherry? My sweet Cherry?" Vic shakes his head, cackling. "I'm sorry, Tae, but as much as I'd love you back on the team, I can't replace Cherry."

"What if I told you she's not who she says she is?"

Vic smirks. "Tae, take a look around. None of us here are who we say we are. That's why we all get along." He leans forward. "That's why she fits in so well with us."

Another chorus of laughter. I clench my jaw.

"Well, there's a reason I'm telling you to drop her, and that reason is that she's a mother."

Vic scoffs. "What do you mean she's a mother? She doesn't have a kid."

Now it's my turn to smirk. "Oh, but she does. A daughter. And that daughter is my girlfriend."

Frankie's jaw drops. "You don't mean -"

I nod, triumphant. "That's right. She's Aria's mum, not her older sister. Which means -"

"She's a cougar. Man, I love older women," Vic fist-bumps Frankie on his right. "Score."

I grimace. This isn't how it was supposed to go.

I slam my hands on the table, hard, causing everyone to jump. "Didn't I say to take me seriously?" I snarl. "I'm not here to fuck around. I'm here to talk serious business, Vic."