29) The Storm

Lena
-

It's been almost two weeks since Daren left town, to say I was pissed was an understatement. I know he's fine because Isaac keeps me updated on his whereabouts. Not because he cares but because he knows we aren't speaking at the moment. 

I've tried calling Daren but he sends me to voicemail. I don't know what happened or what I did to make him bail. I thought maybe he would call me or text me to let me know he was alive but I guess he couldn't be bothered. I made my way to English class expecting to see an empty seat where Daren usually sat but today he was there.

"Daren what the hell?" I walked up to him shoving his arm to get his attention.

He frowned looking up, "jeez, who got your panties in a twist?" He looked different. More tan, and he was wearing sunglasses inside.

"Why are you wearing these?" I pulled his sunglasses off.

"Damn, why are you so mad?, can you just chill?" He squinted a bit as he adjusted to the light.

I noticed his very red eyes. "are you joking? You're high right now?"

He scoffed. "That's none of your business." He grabbed the glasses and leaned back in his chair.

"Elena take your seat. Class is commencing." Our instructor gave me a look.

"Bite me." I glared and grabbed Darens hand. "You're coming with me."

He groaned and followed nonetheless.

"What do you want Elena? I'm missing out on my education." He smirked leaning against the lockers.

"You've been gone for almost two weeks, you didn't think to call me? Or text me to let me know you were alive?" I frowned. "for all I know you could have been dead."

"Please, you knew exactly where I was. Isaac said you were being nosey. I'm not surprised." He shrugged sitting down in the hallway floor. "Are you hungry? I'm hungry." He mumbled.

"Is this a joke to you? Am I a joke to you?" My voice cracked. "You said you Loved me and then you just left."

He burst out laughing. "did you seriously believe that? C'mon Elena, you're smarter than that."

I shook my head. "this is unbelievable."

"Why are you so mad? We weren't even serious, we didn't even fuck. All we did was hang out and watch Netflix." He pulled a flask from his pocket and took a drink.

"I must be dreaming. The Daren I know wasnt a dick."

"Yes he was!" He stood up quickly almost tripping. "don't you get it? I never did this shit before you! You had me thinking I could just change. I can't. I am who I am. I fuck and drink and party and I don't care about anybody. You were fooling yourself if you thought we were gonna last." The more he said the more he backed me up until I was against the wall.

"You don't mean that," tears trickled down my face. "I know you don't."

"I do! I really do. We're never gonna work. I'm not the type to settle down and have a family."

"who said anything about having a family? We're still in highschool for God's sake." I wiped my eyes.

"Exactly, we don't know what the hell we're doing."

"I don't get you, you were so sweet...."

"It's called trying to get Laid." He rolled his eyes.

"That is not true! That's a lie! You can't have been acting. "

"Look, you're killing my Buzz, can you just accept it, I'm done."

I stood there speechless. This isn't Daren, it can't be.

"Welcome back Daren." Tiffany grinned walking down the hallways with a bathroom pass in her hand. "Glad to have you back."

"Thank you, glad to be back cupcake." He smirked checking her out.

My heart broke as I watched him flirt with her, right infront of me. "fuck you Daren."

I shoved him away and stormed out of the school, I could care less if is midday I needed to get out of there. I couldn't stand the sight of him. I felt like throwing up, he can't have been telling the truth. I just can't belive it. Once I get to my car I let out the sobs I've been holding back. I hate him. Wether he's telling the truth or not, he wanted to hurt me. He succeeded, His words cut me like knifes.

After a while I got myself together and drove myself home, my mother had to stay at work late for the upcoming event. I couldn't think straight, all I know is that I couldn't stand the sight of anyone. I parked on my driveway and walked in hoping my neighbors wouldn't say anything. Once I made it inside I walked upstairs toward my bedroom. I stopped outside the door taking a deep breath.

I opened the door and immediately my eyes burned and I felt them threaten to spill over. I let out another sob as I look around my room filled with memories. I snap and just start knocking things over that remind me of him. I see my vinyls and remembered when he'd borrow them. I throw them too, I know I'll regret this all later but for right now all I see is red.

After a while, I just sat on the floor staring at the mess around me. I never thought I'd end up here, especially not because of some guy. But he's not just some guy, he's Daren. I sighed. I can't keep thinking like this, it's done. I just wish I had some answers. Amongst the mess I noticed I had knocked over an old photo album. I picked it up and started flipping through it. I don't know why but I figured it would make me feel better. It didn't. I stopped on a certain picture and froze. Something inside me ignited, I sorted through the mess and found my keys and made my way out before over thinking this. I shivered at the cold outside but ignored it climbing into my car, I did a quick Google search and found exactly what I needed. I turned the key and quickly pulled out. I turned my music on hoping to distract myself from everything.

I had lost track of time as I drove, my phone began to receive messages but I just muted it and followed the GPS. I drove and I drove. Eventually my surroundings were no longer familiar. I gripped the wheel tighter as I saw snow trickling down. Too late to turn back, I thought to myself. I carefully drove on the icy road until I reached my destination.

"This is stupid." I groaned.

I checked my phone and saw messages from my mother and friends wondering where I was, I ignored a few calls along the drive as well. I can't talk to anyone, I have to do this. It's now or never.

I open my car door and step out. I hear the crunch of snow as I walk up. This is bad. This is bad. I stand infront of the door and raise my hand to knock when I hear a voice laugh.

"Alright, I'm checking!" The door swings open and I stand there frozen, like a deer caught in headlights.

He squints. "Elena?"

I gulpped. "Hi Dad."

Suddenly the house lights cut out and it was pitch black.

----
A/N: Shook lol.