Chapter 14: 80%

After the exchange with the paramedic, Alex was super scared for Thomas. When they got to the hospital and admitted Thomas into surgery, Alex started pacing the hospital, tears tunning down his face. This couldn't be the end for Thomas. They had so much to do together...

"Mr. Hamilton?" a voice asked.

Wiping his teary eyes, Alex looked up.

A doctor was standing before him, clutching a clipboard like all stereotypical doctors do. "We just put Mr. Jefferson in surgery. The bullet entered just above his hip and lodged in his right arm. The wound hasn't been infected as of yet, but there is a pretty big chance that Mr. Jefferson will...pass away."

Alex felt his heart stop, even though he had heard the same news a few minutes prior. Thomas couldn't die! Not yet!

Alex nodded, the tears flowing more rapidly. "Okay...th-thank you, doctor..."

The doctor nodded curtly and left the waiting room.

Alex ran a hand down his face, his fingers becoming wet due to the massive amount of tears falling down his face.

"This can't be the e--" Alex began, but got cut off by the door being opened.

He looked over to the door and saw Laf, Herc, and John rushing up to him.

Alex smiled weakly. "Hey, guys...I'm assuming you got my message..?"

On the ride to the hospital, Alex jad texted the Hamilsquad about the shooting, hoping that they would come to the hospital and offer him emotional support.

And they did. They didn't have to, but they did. 90% of the Hamilsquad hated Thomas anyways, so Alex was surprised that they showed up.

Laf nodded, looking the most panicked out of all of them. "Oui...is he okay..?"

Alex bit his lip and shrugged. "I'm...I'm not sure...the doctor said there's a good chance that he'll die..."

The Hamilsquad gasped.

"I-I'm sorry..," John stammered, resting a hand on Alex's shoulder. "I'm sure he'll be fine..."

Herc looked down. "Yeah...so, is he in surgery yet?"

Alex nodded. "Yep...he just got in...all we can do is wait..."

Everyone nodded, sitting down on the hospital chairs.

Silence rang throughout the four men. They were all hoping that Thomas would be all right. Whether it be that they genuinely liked him, or they wanted him to stay alive for Alex's sake, they all were hoping--praying, even--that Thomas would hold on.

The silence continued to wash over the Hamilsquad like a giant wave. It was so silent that you could hear a pin drop. Nobody knew what was going on in the operating room, and, depending on what news the surgeon had to offer, nobody really wanted to know.

Laf had never been more scared than in that moment. His hands were trembling, and tears were flowing down his face. He began murmuring soothing words to himself in French, breaking the silence.

The other three members of the Hamilsquad looked to Laf with sympathetic smiles on their faces. John rested a hand on Laf's shoulder. "He's gonna be fine, Laf...he'll hold on for you. Think about how strong Thomas has been in everything else life has thrown at him. He's a warrior. He'll get through this just like everything else."

Laf pondered that for a second. He looked over at John and smiled weakly. "You're right..," he said shakily. "He'll make it through this..."

As soon as those words left Laf's lips, he couldn't help but doubt that those words were true. Nobody could guarantee that Thomas would he fine. He got shot in the side, for Christ's sake!

With a shaky sigh, Laf made himself believe it.

The silence settled on the Hamilsquad once more, and so did the hope that Thomas would stay alive.

***

The surgery was taking quite a while. So long, in fact, that every member of the Hamilsquad had fallen asleep.

Alex was leaned back in his chair, sleeping peacefully, when...

"Mr. Hamilton?"

Alex jolted awake, causing him to nearly fall off his chair. He looked around and noticed that his friends were sleeping also. So he whispered as to not wake them.

"Oh...hello, Doctor. How is Thomas?" he whispered, rubbing his eyes tiredly. Alex just wanted to go back to sleep at that point. No news could make him less tired.

At least, that's what he thought.

"We have just finished Mr. Jefferson's surgery. His vitals are looking normal, but he is at risk of opening up his stitches. Right now, I'd say Mr. Jefferson has a 80% chance of living," the doctor said.

That snapped Alex out of it real quick. "Oh my gosh! Is he awake?!" Alex asked, forgetting to whisper.

The rest of the Hamilsquad began stirring, at the same time.

Laf rubbed his eyes, much like Alex had done a minute or so prior. "Mon ami, what is so important that has you yelling like a maniac?" He looked up and saw the doctor. His eyes widened. "Oh! Doctor! How is Thomas doing?"

"Yeah! How is he?" Herc asked, standing up from his seat.

The doctor let out a small sigh, annoyed that he had to repeat himself. "Mr. Jefferson has just gotten out of surgery, and he has an 80% chance of living."

Everyone cheered.

Laf was bouncing excitedly. "Yay! Is there any chance that we could see him?"

Alex looked to the doctor and nodded hopefully.

The doctor nodded. "Right this way."

The doctor led the Hamilsquad into a rather large room that had a large, silver "Room 5B" sitting above the door.

Heart pounding, Alex pushed open the door. He gasped as he saw who he had been waiting to see for what felt like ten years.

Thomas.

He was sleeping then, an IV in him. He was cuddling with his blankets, smiling slightly in his sleep. His hair was even more untamed than usual--which was surprising--and he was breathing deeply.

"The drugs we've given him will make him tired, so he'll be asleep for a little while. But you all are welcome to stay until he wakes up," the doctor said, adjusting his glasses.

The Hamilsquad nodded. "Thank you, doctor," Alex said politely.

The doctor nodded and walked briskly away.

Alex immediately rushed to Thomas' bedside, sitting on the bedside chair. He smiled softly as he looked at his lover's adorable face. "Hey, Tommy..," he said quietly, brushing a stray curl out of Thomas' shut eyes.

Laf smiled. "He's gonna be fine," he said, sounding a lot more confident than before.

John nodded, smirking a bit. "Told you guys he was a warrior."

Alex chuckled, not taking his eyes off Thomas. The odds that he would live kept repeating in his head.

80%.

80%.

If his odds are 80%, Alex thought, the smile he had had on his face fading, then there's still a 20% chance that he'l die.

Alex shuddered at that thought, taking Thomas' cold and clammy hand in his. All he could do at that point was hope. Hope that everything would be all right.

Hope that his love would soon be in his arms once again.