Chapter 23: On the Way to France

Beep! Beep!

   On any other day, Thomas would be extremely annoyed to hear the obnoxious sound of his alarm clock.

   But, that day, he was gonna be leaving for France with his lovely boyfriend that day!

   Thomas' eyes flew open as excitement bubbled up inside of him at the day ahead. He pretty much Hulk-fisted his alarm clock to get it to shut off, (the button was a bit sticky,) and flew out of bed.

   "Finally!" he said to himself, shutting his bedroom door so he could change. "The day is here!"

   He changed out of his pajamas lightning fast, afterwards flying out of his room and down the stairs of his parents' mansion, which was pretty close to Alex's little house. (It really wasn't, but just act like it was.) He passed his siblings and his parents, who were at the kitchen table, gorging themselves with eggs and bacon, and dashed into the bathroom, brushing his teeth quickly but thoroughly. After he was done, he dashed back out, and ran to his car. He didn't bother to comb his hair, since it was impossible to tame anyways. He got in, started the car, and began the five minute drive to Alex's house.

***

   Five minutes later, Thomas arrived at Alex's tiny house. Excitement for the trip ahead bubbling in his chest, he ran to Alex's front door and knocked on it with all his might.

   A tired looking, but all ready, Alex answered the door, smiling once he saw his Tommy. "Hey, Thomas! Are you excited for our trip?"

   "Am I?" Thomas giggled, a smile spreading across his face. "I've never been more excited in my life! Are ya ready to go?" Thomas patted his wallet, making sure that the tickets his dad had given him were still there. They were.

   "Yep!" Alex smiled, walking outside. He was dragging a worn-out looking suitcase behind him. Even though its appearance wasn't aesthetically pleasing, it was a good size for the trip.

   Thomas smiled and led his lover to his car. "Dad was kind enough to let me drive us both to the airport. He saved us a lot of awkward silences between us, my parents, and my siblings." He chuckled, opening the passenger door for Alex.

   Alex giggled, getting in the car. "Thanks. To you and to your dad."

   Thomas giggled also, getting into the driver's side. With a turn of his keys and a pull of a lever to get the car in reverse, Thomas and Alex were on their way to the airport.

***

   Thomas got even more excited about the trip that lied ahead of Alex and him when his fancy car made itself comfortable, (in other words, parked,) in a parking spot that kept your cars safe for a few days when you were on vacation or a business trip.

   They were there.

   At the airport.

   With endless possibilities stretched oit in front of them.

   Well, maybe not endless, but a lot of possibilities were stretched out in front of them.

   Thomas took out his keys from his car, almost shaking with excitement. He didn't know why he was so excited for that particular trip, since he had been to France so many times before. Maybe it was that he woukd be experiencing the grace and beauty of the country with the love of his life. Yeah, that's probably what it was.

   Thomas hopped out of the car, Alex following suit. Just a bit more slowly. He was also excited, just not as much as Thomas. Alex giggled at how adorable Thomas looked when he was fidgety and excited. "I see your excitement levels have increased."

   "By a substantial amount!" Thomas squealed, shutting his car door, Alex doing the same. "I'm going to France with the person I love most!"

   Alex felt his face turn a deep red. "Aw..."

   The two men then went into the actual airport, the ginormous building filled with people who also wanted to get away. And also people who would be getting away, only to be trapped in a prison of meetings and work.

   Thomas was happy to say that he was the former. He was happy that this vacation wouldn't have one meeting, one essay, or one workday that came with it. That it would be genuine fun.

   Alex felt the same, although a little part of him couldn't help but feel a little nervous.

   He hated planes.

***

   So after the bag-check and all of those other unimportant details to this story, Thomas and Alex were waiting for their zone to be called.

   They were waiting for a while.

   Right as Thomas was beginning to doze off, (all the excitement was making him tired) he heard a voice say into a microphone:

   "Zone 7, you are boarding now. I repeat, Zone 7, you are boarding."

   That snapped Thomas right out of his daze. He hopped to his feet as a flood of people made their way onto the plane. "That's us! Oh my gosh, Aled! That's us!"

   Alex felt a sting of anxiety. In mere moments, he would be trapped in a flying piece of metal, with the possibility of death lingering on that piece of metal.

   What could go wrong?

   Alex picked himself up. "Yep. Let's go."

   And with that, the two men made their way onto the piece of metal known as an airplane.

***

   "Okay, so a loss of cabin pressure may occur, so for that reason, we have provided blah blah blah..."

   Thomas was zoning the flight attendant out. Why should he be worrying about what she was saying when he had a trip to be thinking about?

   Meanwhile, Alex was listening intently. He wanted to know every possible way to be able to survive if something were to happen.

   After a few minutes, the flight attendant was done with her schpeal. And everyone buckled up. Frankly, I don't know why they didn't do that before, but yeah.

   Then, the pilot of the plain came on and said some mumbo jumbo. After that, the plane started to move down the runway.

   Alex felt sweat pop up on his forehead in moist beads.

   It was happening.

   They were taking off.

   (*cough cough* "Taking Off" is the name of a Clipping song. *cough cough*)

   Thomas glanced over at Alex and saw how nervous he looked. Without having to ask him, Thomas realized what was going on. It didn't take a rocket scientist to figure it out, after all. So, to soothe Alex's nerves about flying, Thomas held Alex's sweaty hand in his.

   Alex looked over at Thomas, tears in his eyes.

   Without saying anything, Thomas gave a small nod and a soft smile.

   That soothed Alex a bit.

   But then, the plane began to soar into the air.

   Alex began breathing deeply, trying to calm himself down.

   After a bit of this, Alex's nerves died down a little.

   And Thomas and him were in the air.

   "France, here we come!" Thomas cheered.

   "Twelve hour flight, here we come," Alex grumbled, a tiny bit of nerves fluttering around in his chest.