Chapter 35

Our relationship continued to grow stronger as weeks passed. We couldn't 'date' since our relationship was a secret, but we spent most of our free time together. I sometimes missed being able to do the traditional things like going to dinner or the movies, but just being with Shawn and knowing he was mine was enough.

I'd all but moved into his condo, though we'd never officially said I was living there. Part of me thought Shawn was avoiding that talk for fear that I'd demand to pay him rent. It had crossed my mind that I was pretty much supported by him financially, and I didn't exactly love that. Down the road it would need to be addressed, but since for now I was just his girlfriend who slept over every night, it wasn't worth the potential fight.

While Shawn was busy prepping for the festival tour by rehearsing with his band and perfecting his setlist, I focused on my restaurant. I could only plan so much until I had a location. I did scour the online real estate sites just in case something perfect came available. Nothing had yet. I wanted to be in one of the historic districts or someplace that was newly trendy and exciting. So far I'd only seen listings for strip malls or areas already flooded with restaurants.

One thing I was able to do in preparation for opening my own café was to start buying furniture. My mom and I started hitting up yard sales early each Saturday and Sunday morning. If we found a solidly built table or sturdy chairs, we bought them and stored them in my parents' garage. I figured I could paint or refinish those that were in bad shape. I loved that each piece was different. Some of the tables were the traditional oak farmhouse style, while others were modern; some were painted and some were the natural wood.

I also looked for antique cut glass vases at the yard sales and at antique shops so that I could have flowers on each table. The best item I found was a huge chandelier with light pink crystals that was covered in dust when I found it in an antique store. I hoped I could fit it in somewhere, perhaps over a bar.

It would have been lovely to have Shawn join me on the shopping adventures, but I enjoyed having the quality time with my mother. She kept me filled in on how my brother Drew and his wife Lainey were doing with her pregnancy. The baby was due in late October. A big baby shower was being thrown for them in Vancouver in August. I was planning on going with my folks, since it was a weekend Shawn didn't have a festival gig. Of course I'd be going dateless. There was too much risk that someone at the shower would leak we were together. Shawn promised to go with me to visit my brother and his family as soon as we went public.

Shawn and I had been together for over a month when Paige's new boyfriend, Hayden, invited us to a cocktail party and exhibit premiere at the gallery where he worked.

Because we hadn't gone public, Shawn and I had to arrive at the party separately. We'd both gotten ready at his condo, though he was done long before me. I wore a simple little black dress of my mom's which she insisted I pair with her pearls and black patent leather pumps. I put my hair up in an up-do and opted for a smoky eye to add some drama to my appearance. When I walked out to the living room in my party clothes and did a twirl, Shawn swore under his breath, stood up off the couch, grabbed my hand, and walked me back to the bedroom. He fucked me as he told me over and over that I was the most beautiful woman in the world and he couldn't believe I was his. I didn't even care that I had to fix my hair, though it wasn't so bad since I'd been on my knees and not my back.

I'd gone on the pill as planned, and we were enjoying the freedom of being able to have sex spontaneously. We'd worked through most of the gigantic box of condoms before I was "safe," so at least they weren't wasted. Our sex life was perfection and Shawn delighted in showing me different ways we could do it. He was such a great teacher, and I was an eager pupil.

After our quick sexual interlude, I took a Lyft to the gallery, and Shawn arrived about forty-five minutes later.

When he walked through the door, I was talking to Paige and sipping a glass of champagne. Heads turned to check him out, probably because he was Shawn Mendes, though even if he wasn't famous, he'd have the ability to attract stares.