Chapter 97

Shawn's song Moving Forward had been nominated for the Grammy for song of the year. The awards were being held in Los Angeles, and I didn't go. He'd asked me to come, but there were lots of reasons I couldn't attend. For one thing, I didn't want to take that long of a trip with Cady, and leaving her behind wasn't an option. Plus, I didn't want to take the time off from work since I'd just recently gone back to my regular schedule. Finally, I wasn't up for being scrutinized on the red carpet. I may have lost weight, but I knew I'd be judged for the baby pounds I still carried.

Instead, I sat in front of the television in my pajamas watching the show with Cady in my arms. She clapped her hands when he took the stage to perform the opening song. By the time he accepted his award, she was sound asleep. I was pretty sure she'd watch footage of her daddy receiving his first ever Grammy repeatedly when she was older. It was an insanely huge deal, which made me feel a massive pang of guilt for missing it. His speech added to the guilt.

Thank you! This is such an amazing honor and something I've dreamed of for over ten years. I wouldn't have gotten this far without the support of my fans. I love you guys! I owe a lot to my manager, Andrew, and to Island, my label. They believed in me from the start. Obviously I wouldn't even be here without my parents' and sister's support and encouragement. Lastly, I need to say my biggest thank you to my beautiful wife Chelsea who is watching from Toronto. Chels, you and Cady are my everything, and I love you both so much.

On the next commercial break I put Cady in her crib and sat back down in the living room to finish watching the show. I was tired, but I hoped to catch a glimpse of my husband looking handsome in an audience shot.

I decided to text him, though I knew he wouldn't get it until later.

Me: Congrats! I'm so proud of you!

He texted back a few minutes later, much to my surprise.

Shawn❤️: thanks, Chels

Shawn❤️: I wish you were here

Me: I wish I was, too.

Shawn❤️: got to go

Shawn❤️: needed for photos

Shawn❤️: kiss Cady for me

I wondered if he was sending me a kiss, too, but I didn't ask.

The show ended and I crawled into bed. Karen was coming over early in the morning to babysit while I worked. Shawn would be home by the time I got off work. I missed him terribly and couldn't wait to see him again. Despite our issues, he was still the love of my life.

Valentine's Day was a couple days after the Grammy's. I was working this year, because Ros had met a great guy named Theo. There was no way I was making her miss a night out with him on the most romantic holiday when she'd covered for me the last couple years. Paige took the day shift and I took the evening. We were booked solid with reservations for the annual heart-themed prix fix meal. I'd reserved a table for Mendes for seven o'clock and made sure I could take my break then to eat with Shawn and Cady.

He'd been very understanding about me having to work. I knew we both would have preferred time at the cabin, but we could do that another weekend. Besides, the weather was terrible in Ontario and driving to the lake would have been treacherous.

We'd just finished eating when Shawn reached into the pocket of the leather jacket he had draped over the chair behind him. He pulled a small box wrapped in red.