Chapter 69

Shawn and I fell into a routine over the next few weeks. Unsurprisingly, I spent every night with him. We'd eat a late dinner, make love, and sleep snuggled together in bed. The next morning we'd get up and shower together, then have coffee before I left to open the bistro. Most mornings he'd show up after the commuter rush to have a late breakfast or early lunch. This wasn't an issue until the second Saturday he did this.

Shawn walked in that day and found me behind the coffee bar.

"You didn't get my text?" I whispered at him.

He pulled his phone out. "Just got it. Ohhhh. Some of my fans are here?"

I nodded. "They are out on the patio. And they've spotted you."

Four middle school age girls were pressed to the window taking pictures of Shawn (and me) at that very moment.

"I'm going to ignore them," he said.

I handed him his coffee and a menu. "Good luck."

He decided on a ham and swiss omelet, and I went to the kitchen to have the cook make it. When I returned, the gaggle of girls had moved to an inside table. They were staring at Shawn's back. One of them appeared to be filming him.

"Are you aware you are being watched?" I asked him.

"I'm kind of used to it. How's your morning been, baby?"

"Busy. Which is good. It's Ros's day off, and I'm a server down, but it's okay. We're managing. I probably won't get a lot of baking done."

"Is Paige coming in?"

"She works tonight, so I should be out of here by six. I'll make us dinner."

"Fuck that. You aren't cooking after a long day on your feet. I'll make dinner tonight."

I was about to ask what he was planning on making when we were interrupted by his stalkers.

"Excuse me," one of them said. "Can we get a picture?"

Shawn smiled. "I'm pretty sure you've taken several already, eh?"

"We meant selfies," another young lady chirped.

"Here's the thing," he started, "I'm here having breakfast, trying to talk to my girl. I know I rarely say no to selfies, but I'm going to have to. This isn't a good time and I need you to respect that."

I was a bit taken aback by how blunt he was. Looking at the expressions on the girls' faces, so were they. They quickly said goodbye and went back to the table outside.

"That was so unlike you," I said.

"If I start taking pictures and being friendly with my fans when I'm here, you're going to be overrun with them. I needed to nip it in the bud. Besides, it's rude to interrupt someone like that."

"I support you. I just don't want you changing your fan interaction policy because of me. It might be easier if you didn't come by all the time."

"You aren't getting rid of me that easily. I'm not changing my life to avoid fans. They need to learn to be respectful," he said.

"I'm checking social media later. We're going to be all over it. I'm glad I wore my favorite shirt."

"Well if we're going to be all over the Internet, let's make it worthwhile," he said with a mischievous grin.

He then hopped off his stool, walked behind the coffee bar, and gave me a kiss on the lips.

"Customers aren't allowed to be back here," I said when he pulled away.