Chapter 77

After sleeping late at the hotel on Sunday, we woke up and made love. Then, we ate room service food in bed, had another round of sex in the shower, packed up, and went home. We were exhausted from the night before and our strenuous bedroom activity, but we put our wedding cake frosting to good use after dinner that night. Two pieces of cake meant we each had a turn. After showering the sugar away, we curled up in bed. I had my head on Shawn's chest and he was lightly stroking my back. Suddenly he stopped.

"I never gave you your wedding gift!" Shawn said.

"Oh right. The gift you weren't supposed to get me."

"Do you not want it?" he asked.

I shrugged, trying to feign indifference, though I was totally kidding.

"Okay, that's fine. I'm sure someone else would like it."

"Stop! You know I want it. I just hate that I didn't get you anything," I said.

"Promise me you'll wear that sexy pink and black thing from last night occasionally, and that will be the best gift ever," he said before climbing out of bed and going into the closet.

I sat upright with the sheet around me while I waited for him to return. He did momentarily, a tiny box in his hand which he handed to me.

"Did this cost a fortune?" I asked.

He laughed. "Nope! It was under a hundred dollars."

Now that was a surprise.

I removed the white ribbon and opened the box. Inside was a silver necklace with two pendants. One was a key and the other was a lock. I immediately felt tears well up in my eyes.

"After we met with Ros and went over what she was going to say during the wedding ceremony, I knew I had to get you something related to a lock and a key," he explained.

"I love it! It's the most beautiful and meaningful gift I've ever received. Can you put it on me?"

He put the necklace around my neck as I held my hair up. It was quite long, so it fell between my breasts. The chain was sturdy enough that I could wear it every day, which I intended to do.

It was slightly disappointing not having a honeymoon, but we'd known that would be the case when we turned our engagement party into a wedding. I fell asleep thinking that I had a full work week ahead of me.

On Monday morning, Shawn and I sat at the kitchen counter drinking coffee before I had to leave for work.

"I'm going to share that we got married on Instagram and Twitter today, if you're okay with that," he said.

"I'm both excited and nervous about you breaking the news," I said truthfully.

Josiah, his photographer, sent him the best twenty photos he'd taken at the wedding. He was sending Shawn a thumb-drive with all the photos later, which would be fun to look at and maybe use to create an album. We'd gone through and had selected three to use as our wedding announcement. One was taken when we were saying our vows. We were standing facing each other, holding hands. The other was when Shawn kissed me after we'd been proclaimed husband and wife. The final photo was of us slow dancing on the dance floor.

We'd asked our guests to please not share any photos until after our news went public. Additionally, we'd requested that no videos of the song he wrote for me be made public. This song was special and wasn't meant for the general public to hear.

I knew there would be some backlash from his fans about our announcement. It was inevitable. Hopefully any outrage would be like a flash in the pan and they'd get over it quickly. It's not like we hadn't made it clear this was coming.