Chapter 64

I spent a long time getting ready for the concert. It was a warm early September night, so I decided to wear a silver lamé halter top with a black denim mini skirt and black converse. I wore silver jewelry and opted to straighten my hair since it wasn't humid at all. A smoky eye completed the sexy look I was going for.

Was I trying to look good for Shawn?

Maybe.

I'd be lying if I didn't acknowledge that I still wanted him to be attracted to me. I felt it was only fair since I was insanely attracted to him. That was not "just friends" behavior, but I couldn't help it. Things had started to shift slightly between us.

When I got a text from Paige that they were out front, I added a swipe of lip gloss and hurried out the door.

"Damn, Chels," my best friend said from the sidewalk. "You look so hot! Are you hoping that the rock star we're seeing tonight notices you in the audience and brings you backstage?"

"Ha. Funny."

She grinned as she got in the car. "It's funny because it's true."

Not only had Shawn given me, Paige, Hayden, Ben, and Karyn VIP passes to the Toronto show, he'd also arranged for us to be picked up by a limo. He'd done the same with some other friends and his family, so when we were escorted backstage before the concert, there was a huge crowd in the hall outside his dressing room. The whole thing had a party feel to it since there was a large table of catered food and tons of drinks. The food looked pretty good, but it was somewhat boring and routine. I could have done better, though it's not like I did that kind of work these days.

Shawn was nowhere to be seen and I assumed he was in his private room getting ready. I'd hoped to see him before the show to wish him luck, but I knew he had his rituals.

I was sipping champagne with my friends when my phone buzzed.

Shawn: can you come see me?

I bit my lip. It was funny how five simple words from him gave me a huge thrill.

Me: Where are you?

Shawn: see the door with my name on it?

Shawn: I'm in there ;)

I excused myself from the group and approached the door. His bodyguard, who I knew quite well, was standing in front of it.

"Hi, Chelsea," he said with a warm smile.

"Hi! Shawn asked me to pop in his room. Is that okay?"

He nodded and knocked twice on the door. It opened a crack and an arm reached out and grabbed me and pulled me inside before shutting the door again. Shawn looked me over and smiled but didn't say anything. I wouldn't have minded a compliment, but maybe that wasn't appropriate. After a few seconds he started to run his hands through his hair, and I sensed that he was anxious.

"Is everything okay?" I asked. "Why aren't you out there with everyone?"

"It's too much before the show. When everyone comes back after, I'll join the party. Right now it'll fuck up my focus."

I remembered from the festival tour the year before that he needed time to mentally get ready before going on stage. I couldn't help but wonder why he'd called me in to see him.

"I can't wait to watch you perform again," I said. "I played your new album at work today in anticipation."

I'd skipped Destiny, but he didn't need to know that. Not that he'd probably mind; he hated the song, too.