Chapter 1: Kale Gets Stalked

Kale loved his job at Bishop's. Not only was he surrounded with his favorite things; books, movies, and music, but he also had regular customers who made his job enjoyable. This afternoon was no different than any other Friday, he knew that in a few minutes Mrs. Lewis would be in for her weekly shopping spree. Helping her was never a bore. She always tried to either embarrass him or shock him speechless, sometimes it was a combination of both. She was one of his favorite customers. While waiting for her arrival he helped Raven, his best friend and co-worker, stock some of the new items that had come in that morning.

They walked from the store room loaded down with boxes of new body jewelry, video games, and controllers. Raven chattered non-stop along the way. Her multi-colored hair swinging as she wove through the maze of shelves to the display case for the jewelry.

"So tonight, I think I am going to go and check out that play party I was telling you about," she said as she set the boxes down and he unlocked the display case. "Wanna come with?"

Kale looked down and shook his head. This was not a conversation he wanted to have, again, especially at work. Raven kept pushing him to go with her, but he kept refusing. To stop her barrage of questions and reasons why he needed to go, he started placing the little packets of earrings in the case. He tried to think of something, anything to get her train of thought on a different track.

"Hey, have you listened to that new Bush CD yet?"

"Don't try and change the subject, K. You need to get out more. And no, I haven't listened to it yet." Raven worked on one side as he filled the other. Absentmindedly, he played with his lip piercing with his tongue. He had the advantage of not having to look at her when he responded.

Quietly he admitted, "I'm not ready, Ray. I need time." He saw the blonde, black, and pink hairs move as she shook her head.

"No, Kale, you need life. Not Time. Come on, live a little." She stuck her head on his side of the case. Before he could respond a small, wrinkled hand grabbed his wrist. He turned to see Mrs. Lewis standing beside him. Oh geeze, how long had she been there listening to their conversation? Judging by the deviant smile on her face, long enough to know Raven was trying to turn him into a social butterfly.

"How's my Sugar Baby today?" she asked him.

"Great now that my favorite person is here." he replied with a smile. "Are you ready to see the new arrivals?"

Mrs. Lewis just laughed and moved to stand beside Raven. "Still can't get our boy to go out?" Raven beamed at her. Both women were adamant that Kale needed to stop hiding at home on his days off. Together they badgered him constantly about becoming a recluse with nothing but his cats for company. Which didn't make sense, considering that he didn't really like cats.

"Nope, he still refuses to be seen with me outside of work. Makes me wonder if he thinks I'm not good enough." Kale scoffed as Raven winked at the little old lady, one green eye shining with deviance, "I might develop a complex."

Mrs. Lewis let out a howl of laughter and nudged Kale with her bony elbow. "You wouldn't want to give the girl a complex, now would you?"

All he could do was stare at the two of them. Suddenly, Mrs. Lewis tilted her head and an odd look crossed her face. At the same time, Raven's eyebrows disappeared into her bangs. Kale shifted uncomfortably, thinking he was the reason for their twin looks of shock and confusion.

When Raven wolf whistled, Kale turned around and looked in the direction their gazes were focused. He let out a breath and felt a tingle in his stomach. Standing just inside the doors was a woman and man he had never seen before. The woman was short, or would be if she wasn't wearing the clunky Mary Jane's she had on. Her brown hair was pulled up into curly pigtails and she wore a black lolita dress and rainbow thigh highs. Not the most tame outfit he had ever seen, but for some reason, it just worked for her. Her dark eyes sparkled with mischief and awe. The man was wearing blue jeans and a nice button down shirt. Had a clean cut hairstyle and green eyes that seemed like they could see right inside to your darkest secrets. If it weren't for their interlocked fingers, he would never guess that they were together. All three watched as the girl let go of the man's hand and then twirled in place. She clapped her hands and then took off in the direction of the books. The man followed behind at a slower place, taking in his surroundings.