Chapter 15: Raven To The Rescue

For the first time ever, Kale called into work sick. Alan was concerned, but not upset. Kale had told him the bare minimum and had promised to work overtime when he was feeling better. His day off, the day before had been spent in bed only getting up to relieve himself and to sip on canned soups. He was grateful that Raven had spent the past few days with her boyfriend and had finally come home after Kale had already called in. He was laying in bed when he heard her arrive.

They needed to talk about their fight, but he couldn't muster up the energy to care. He listened as she walked through the house. At one point he thought she was going to knock on his door, but after a while she turned and went into the bathroom. It bothered him that she had stalled at his door. The chasm that had started after their fight was growing and Kale knew he was the one to blame. The shower shut off and he listened as she went to the living room. With a heavy sigh, Kale rose and sat on the side of the bed. He had to talk to her. He couldn't lose his best friend over something as benign as Jason. It had already screwed Kale up, but the friendship he and Raven shared shouldn't suffer because of it.

His body rebelled as he stood up and gimped his way down the hall using the walls as support. The aches and pains were rekindled with each step. Every bruise and sore spot making his steps falter. When he finally made it to the living room Raven shrieked and flew off the couch.

"Holy shit, Kale! What happened? Ohmygod, are you okay!?!"

Raven grabbed onto Kale's arm and led him to the couch. Trying not to cause him anymore pain than necessary.

"Thanks, Ray."

She gave him a pitying smile and sat down beside him. "What happened?"

"Ray, I am getting ready to piss you off more than I ever have before and I just want to say one thing first. I am so sorry. For the fight, for this, for everything."

Raven's stomach dropped. That was never a great start off in any conversation. And coming from Kale, it seemed even worse.

"Umm... Okay?"

"You remember the new house/get Kale drunk and laid birthday party"

"Yeah? Kale, how does this explain why you look like you were in an MMA cage fight?"

Kale took a deep breath and continued. "It does, just listen. Then you can scream and yell."

Raven's confusion was obvious, so she merely nodded and sat back.

"Okay, you know I slept with someone. And you know I have been ever since then on a pretty regular basis."

"Who?"

"Jason." Kale dropped his head and looked down at his bare feet. Waiting for the explosion. She didn't disappoint.

"Fucking Jason! Kale, what the hell were you thinking?!" Raven jumped up and stormed across their living room floor.

"He did that to you, didn't he! Didn't he!"

The look on Kale's face was all the answer she needed. He apologized through barely contained tears.

"Fucking Jason! What the hell!" Raven tried to pace off her anger. Repeating the same thing. Over and over. Their carpet was in danger of being worn down to the threads. God, was she pissed. At first she was concerned when she saw his busted lip and black eye. She didn't need him to explain more. That fucking monster hurt him and it was more than his physical appearance. All she could say was, 'fucking Jason.'

Tension from their fight in the store two days ago, had only made the situation worse. He had an entire day to himself to relive everything that had happened and to prepare for the blowout between him and Raven.