Chapter 13: The End Of The Booty Calls

There was something wrong. Reegan didn't know what exactly it was, but she could feel it. Kale's smile didn't reach his eyes. There was a lifeless drag to his step. For the millionth time, she wished she knew Kale on a more personal level. Then, maybe, he would tell her what was bothering him. In the three months that she had been coming to the store, she was no closer to knowing him outside of his job. It didn't stop her infatuation, but it made times like this almost unbearable. He had slowly become stoic and distant. His cute, clumsy behavior faded and his eagerness to talk to her was diminished. She just wished she could hug the happiness back into him.

She held his cold hand as he led her to the video game section. There had to be something she could say or do. If only Aiden were there. He would know what to say.

"Which game again?"

The disheartened tone tore at Reegan's heartstrings. That wasn't the Kale she had come to know. He was the reason for her trips to Bishop's. He was cute and fun. Today, even his appearance screamed: I'm depressed!

"Huh? Oh, uhm, Conker's Bad Fur Day. I doubt you even have it. It's ancient."

Kale shrugged. Just kept walking as they made their way through the store. He prayed to any deity out there, that Reegan would just let go of his hand. It hurt having her so near. Knowing he could never have her. That he was bound to loveless relationships. Ones like his and Jason's. He needed to learn that all he was worth, was random calls or texts telling him to come over. He wasn't worth a date, a kind word, love.

Reegan felt his hand shift, a small pull, away from her. She didn't like it. Where was he? He was so withdrawn.

"If we don't, I can put in an order for it." The same monotone voice.

"Kay-kay, what's wrong?" Reegan stopped walking, pulling Kale's hand to make him face her. She bent her head back to peer up at him. His towering height not matching his demeanor.  

He didn't know how to respond. 'Oh, you know, my fuck buddy is getting jealous of my obsession with you and your husband.' Nothing creepy or odd about that. No, not at all.

"Nothing." He started walking again. When he met the resistance from Reegan's hand, he shook his arm until she let go.

Reegan couldn't help the hurt look that crossed her face. She stood and watched as Kale turned and walked towards the glass display case of video games. Never even looking to see if she followed. He was...gone. Kale was gone and in his place was a stranger.

The thrill of getting a replacement of her favorite game gone. She just wanted to leave. Without a word, she turned in the opposite direction and speed walked to the door. Kale's rejection burned. Deep in her heart. Tears fell, unknowingly, from her eyes. She had to leave before her heartbreak caused unwanted attention. Especially since she was nothing to him. Just the weird girl that came into the store more than she should. They weren't together, so it shouldn't matter. Her hands pushed the door open, the bells jingled above her head, and she ran all the way to her car.

Kale didn't notice. His long legs drug him to the case. He pulled his keys out and unlocked the case before he realized Reegan was no longer behind him.

"I don't know what you did to the little gothic dolly, but she was crying and couldn't get out of here fast enough." Raven lightly shoved Kale. "You know, you can be as big an asshole as you want with me. I've known you all your life. But you have no right treating a girl that fawns all over you like that."

"She doesn't 'fawn' over me Ray. She doesn't...do anything, over me. That's just how she treats people." His disinterested tone fueled an unwanted lecture from Raven.