Chapter 23: Stupid, Stupid, Kiss?

There was something majorly wrong with Kale. Reegan didn't know what it was, but she had to find out. He didn't look good. And the face that he had made before he disconnected his cam... Yeah, she had to wake up Aiden.

She stood next to the bed and pinched and prodded him. Bouncing on the corner of the bed. Stealing his pillows. Repeating wake up over and over. Nothing was working, so she settled for the one thing she knew would wake him up. She took a deep breath and let out an ear piercing scream. It sounded awful. Like someone's soul was being ripped from their body. Aiden flew up and looked beside him. When he didn't see Reegan, he flew out of bed and headed for the door. He almost trampled her to the ground in his attempt to get to her.

"Calm down. It's okay. I'm okay. I promise." She wrapped her arms around him and laid her head against his chest. She felt him relax and then he lifted her up and held onto her.

"I hate when you do that, Doll."

She spoke into his neck. "I know, but you wouldn't wake up. Sorry. It was a last resort."

He placed a small kiss on her shoulder and then leaned his head back to look at her.

"What's wrong?"

"Kale."

Aiden's arms flexed around her and worry etched his face.

"What's wrong with Kale? Is he okay? Is he hurt?"

Reegan shook her head and blew out a breath.

"I don't know Daddy Man. He texted me a little bit ago. It was just a hi. So I called him. He didn't sound right, so I had him get on i.m. and we watched cartoons. He was smiling and seemed to be calming down. Then he looked like he saw a ghost." She clutched Aiden tight to her. "Gods, he looked so freaked out and when I called him to see what happened. He wasn't talking. It was just these strangled noises. It ripped my heart out."

Aiden sat Reegan on the bed and went in search of clothes. He tossed clothes at her and they both got dressed. Neither one of them paid attention as Reegan's phone beeped and rang.

They were in the car and heading down the street when Reegan checked her phone. She didn't know whether to be alarmed or to laugh at the text message she had received. She showed the message to Aiden and he pushed down on the accelerator. Visions of Jason being torn limb from limb dancing in his head. The drive was quick without traffic. Aiden's lead foot might have helped, but he wasn't counting that.

They pulled into the driveway and looked at the dark house. Not a single light was on. He opened his door and got out. Reegan following close beside him as they walked up the steps and to the door. Aiden's hard fist pounded on the door. They stood and waited for someone to answer. Aiden grew impatient and knocked again. He put his ear up to the door and listened for any kind of movement. There wasn't a sound coming from the house. More frantic pounding. If somebody didn't answer the door soon, he was going to knock it off it's hinges. He was just about to maul the door when it flew open.

Raven stood in the doorway looking tired and pissed off.

"WHAT THE FUCK!!!! Do you want me coming to your house waking you up in the middle of the night and pounding on your door like I'm the fucking cops doing a drug bust?" Then she noticed who was at the door. "Oh! I mean, hey you two. What brings you to mi casa?"

Aiden just looked at her and laughed. If Jason was there, he wouldn't stand a chance against her. His nerves calmed minutely. Since he wasn't saying anything, Reegan decided she should.

"Raven, where's Kale? Is he okay?"

"He's in bed." Her face was pulling a look that kinda screamed 'where the fuck else would he be at this ungodly hour', as she eyed them both.