10. Adjusting

Barbara woke up the next day, only to feel someone holding her, she immediately screamed, and pushed the figure back.

This woke up the figure, he screamed and fell off the bed.

"Oh, sorry James...." Barbara said, utterly embarrassed. He just shrugged it off, aware that it would take his sister a while to adjust to the new environment and her new, permanent home.

"What's going on!?" The twins heard their father yell; and he barged into his daughter's room as he clumsily made his way through the door, Euphemia on his tail with her wand out.

When they saw the sight of Barbara on the bed, involuntarily shaking, and James on the floor rubbing his backside, the Potter parents shook their heads in an amused manner, trying to take light of the situation.

"THIS MEANS WAR!" James yelled, and he started tickling his sister. Barbara laughed and finally managed to kick James off of her.

"Come on, kids, let's go eat breakfast." Euphemia announced which immediately caught everybody's attention.

"Breakfast? Count me in!" Fleamont shouted with delight as he hurriedly made his way out of Barbara's room to go downstairs in the kitchen.

"Me, two!"

"Me, three!"

"Thanks for the food, Dippy." Barbara said to the Elf. It was her first breakfast in the household and she never knew all of her fears could evaporate so quickly.

"Dippy is happy to serve Miss Barbara." Dippy said to Barbara, respect and happiness with serving clear in his tone.

"Hey Barbara do you want to play tag or exploding snap?" James asked.

"What's exploding snap and tag?"

James' face went from happy to shock to an evil grin. "Let me teach you exploding snap first, Mum, Dad, care to join?" Both adults nodded, and they set up the game in the living room.

"I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU BEAT ME ON YOUR THIRD GAME!" Mr. Potter yelled with mock hurt. Barbara just grinned at her father and stuck her tongue out at him.

"You snooze you lose, Dad." Barbara said as Mrs. Potter and James laughed.

"You are the cutest devil I have ever met young lady."

Mrs. Potter made a frustrated noise.

"Correction, Barbara, second cutest." That caused James and Barbara to laugh at their parents.

Later, James and Barbara were playing tag when Mrs. Potter called them in for lunch.

"Ugh, Mum, Barbara's cheating!" James said when they were walking inside. Barbara just rolled her eyes.

"How, might I ask?" Mrs. Potter asked.

"She used Vampire speed or something!"

Barbara scoffed. "No I didn't, you're just a slow poke. Besides, Vampires don't have super speed or anything. We have like .001% extra strength, granted, but not anything else."

"Oh." James said sheepishly, a playful glare being given to him by Barbara.

"James, maybe you should read some Vampire books." Euphemia suggested. Barbara nodded her head vigorously, obviously excited.

"Ok, but then that means that Barbara has to read the book I read. I didn't read it for nothing!" James claimed. Barbara and Mrs. Potter just rolled their eyes. The little girl was told James never read books unless it was absolutely necessary or there was a wand to his head.

"I like reading. I read a ton many books when I was at the hospital for those weeks. That's how I actually know about my Vampireyness." Barbara stated matter-of-factly.

"Vampireyness?" James asked his sister in amusement.

Barbara just shrugged. "It's now a word whether you like it or not."

Barbara and James sat in James' room reading their 'assigned' books; Barbara was reading a book all about Quidditch while James was reading a Vampire book. They both had mildly surprised and interested expressions with what they were reading. They both had no idea how intriguing each subject was until they had sat down to take the time to read about it.

They read until it was very late in the night. Each Potter twin was now on their third book about the subjects. Barbara was so immersed into Quidditch Through the Ages that she nearly punched her brother as he abruptly fell asleep on her shoulder. She then realized how late it was and decided it was best to fall asleep in her room.

After giving James a goodnight kiss on the forehead and making sure he was under the covers, Barbara wandered back into her room and fell asleep, no nightmares making their way into her mind.

She wouldn't allow them to ruin her new life.

Remember to... VOTE COMMENT AND SHARE!

XOXO

Me😊