36.1 Duelling a Toad

Barbara had been doing missions nearly three times a month, all of them given to her by Dumbledore. After a long discussion with him and the Deputy Headmistress, Professor McGonagall, they decided that the students should know why Barbara was able to teach before more crazy rumours could be spread. Barbara had told her brother and friends at lunch about what would occur; and all of them– including Peter– looked up from their food when Dumbledore stood up to announce it.

"Good afternoon, Hogwarts. I know that it is peculiar that I am standing up hear and giving an announcement during lunch; but this is quite overdue and must be said. As most of you know about our younger teacher," Barbara glued her eyes to Dumbledore, ignoring the stares, "she is still a student, yet has a different schedule and teaches fellow peers. Some of you have complained that that isn't fair, including a couple teachers." Umbridge coughed in an odd manor that made the other teachers standing behind Dumbledore give her the stink-eye.

"Anyways, I've been meaning to tell you why, because even some teachers still don't know the true reasoning. I have just received approval from the Ministry to tell you all why: Professor Potter, here, is the youngest Auror on record." Gasps and cries of shock chorused throughout the room.

"Yes, it is true. I promise I am of lying to you. She has been training since her Third Year and is quite accomplished. At one point in time, she fought around four Death Eaters in one battle. Don't worry, they're almost done recovering." Dumbledore joked.

Barbara smiled and spoke of the happening, "One of them surrendered after I bounded him and threatened to feed him Bertie Bott's Every Flavoured Beans, it was quite a sight, really. He was crying." Most of the Hall laughed at this, however one was boiling in her seat.

To everyone's astonishment, the least-liked teacher in the hall stood up. Nobody told her to sit down because her face was almost as pink as her attire. She clearly needed to say something.

Barbara had always been the favorite teacher compared to Delores, everyone knew it. The woman was sick of being placed in the shadow of a mere girl, who didn't even teach properly. Umbridge turned to Barbara, a death glare on her face that was so murderous everyone was surprised Barbara was still standing.

"You think you're so, perfect, being the best Auror and all that. Well, I'll show you. Duel during dinner. Don't be late." Umbrige huffed, and strutted out of the Great Hall after taking up her purse. Once the only sound left the Great Hall– the clicking of her heels– McGonagall turned to Dumbledore.

"This is absurd. Dumbledore. You need to put your foot down before some of gets hurt!" She exclaimed.

"It's Barbara's call." Dumbledore told the worried witch. Professor McGonagall shook her head in disapproval, but it was true. The Wizard or Witch in question had to choose.

When a small silence fell across the Hall again, Dumbledore looked at Barbara Potter. She nodded to him, a devious smirk on her face.

Oh, this will be fun.

Barbara only taught Seventh Years in the afternoon. The Racenclaws and Gryffindors asked her if she was worried. Barbara just smirked and told them that if she could eat a chocolate frog before it leaped away she could beat a toad. When they asked why she was so confident and what was she going to do to Umbrige, she responded with, "She leapt into the wrong cauldron; but don't worry. I won't injure her enough that she has to go to St. Mungo's."

Most students begged her to.

The bell rang, signaling the day's end.  Most of the students around Hogwarts talked animatedly about the duel.  "Who will win?" "Is Umbrige going to hurt Barbara?" "I'll give you ten galleons that Barbara will win." and "I'm sure Dumbledore will eventually put a stop to this. It's madness, I'm telling you."

When students asked James if his sister would be alright, he always responded with the same answer, a smirk permanently on his face for the night. "The toad went into the wrong cauldron. She's going to be gone after this, I expect."

People saw Barbara and Umbrige start to walk out of the Great Hall; and they followed the duellers to one of the courtyards outside. Barbara went to the middle with Umbrige right behind her. Tension and eagerness was filling the air with every single step they took.

When Umbridge turned to face Barbara, a wicked smile was plastered on her face. All Barbara did was her signature smirk at the other witch, and put her wand up in front of her face, Umbrige following suit.

"Scared, Potter?"

Barbara's smirk grew bigger, if possible.

"You. Wish."

That threw Umbrige off, but she started to walk twenty paces back, and Barbara was twirling her wand on her hand, her completing the twenty paces moments before.

They got into their dueling positions. Umbrige looked like she was holding her wand as a sword. Barbara put her wand over her head, and extended her opposing arm out in front of her for aim. The students and teachers that were watching went into a silence.