21. Tea with Hagrid

Barbara was enjoying lunch with Lily and Marlene. They were discussing what they wanted to do on their first Hogsmede trip. Her friends didn't know about the secret passageways that she used when exploring with James and his crew.

"I heard Honeydukes is the way to go," Marlene commented, "they have more sweets than Sirius Black does girlfriends."

The girls laughed. Sirius had a big reputation that was as large as James's ego when he was in his Quidditch uniform. He was the known player at Hogwarts; and all ages took an interest in him.

Barbara was about to add something about him but felt someone tap her shoulder. She turned her head around to see Gilderoy Lockhart. He smiled his award-winning smile at her and her friends. "Hello, ladies. I was wondering if I could talk to Barbara for a second."

"Sure." She followed Gilderoy outside. As it was nearing their winter break, snow was falling outside and it was a bit more chilly than Barbara would've liked. He must really want some privacy when asking me this, she thought. They sat at one of the benches in the courtyard.

"So, Barbara," he began casually, not a trace of doubt or nervousness in his voice, "the first Hogsmede trip is this weekend... are you going with anybody in particular?"

Barbara smiled, liking where this was going. "No, I'm not going with anyone. A couple guys asked me to go with them but I declined."

"Would you like to go with me then, as a date?"

She mentally fist-bumped herself. "Yes, I would love to go on a date with you, Gilderoy."

The Ravenclaw smiled widely. "Great! I'll walk to you to your first class, what is it?" Barbara immediately lost her smile, which was replaced with a small frown.

"I have Transfiguration." She replied. Barbara didn't have the heart to tell him they were in the same class. She hoped that Gilderoy was just caught up in the moment.

"Me too! Let's go together, shall we?"

Barbara and James made it a point to visit Hagrid once a month to update him on anything and everything. They befriended him their First Year when Barbara was discussing owning a Phoenix with him. She introduced James to Hagrid during their Second Year, which was when they decided to have "tea time" with Hagrid.

"Hey, Hagrid!" The Potter twins said in unison as they walked through the door. They took a seat on their favorite chairs when they noticed tea and biscuits were already there for them.

"Hi guys! Tea just came off the stove so be a bit careful. How's everythin'? Quidditch good this year?"

"The team could be better. We're third right now for the cup after Ravenclaw ripped us to shreds."

"Yeah," James added, "pretty sure they're still really mad about last year when we crushed them."

"Sore losers, they are." Hagrid replied. He seemed a bit distracted to the Potters. They turned to each other and exchanged concerned looks.

"Is anything new with you, Hagrid?" James asked, hiding his concern.

"Yep! Got a new baby threastal today. Beautiful creatures." Barbara sighed with relief. His mind was just occupied with the new baby.

"What's its name, Hagrid?"

"Hallow." He said proudly. Barbara choked on her tea out of surprise. James was confused with her reaction; and Hagrid was completely oblivious to it.

"Do you mean like the Deathly Hallows?" Barbara saw James's eyes widen with realization.

"Yep. Clever, right?" He mistook their surprise with exhaustion.

"Alright, you two, it's ge'in late. Go to bed and stay out of trouble."

"That was a close one!" James said, and Barbara nodded her head in agreement.

"I thought he suspected us," Barbara replied, "but I guess it's a good thing that he's oblivious. Could you imagine if that was Professor McGonagall? She would've sniffed us out in seconds!"

"Well, Barbara, you do know that the other Marauders know about it, right?" Barbara stopped walking back to the castle and faced her brother.

She frowned, "You told them about it? Why would you do that? We promised not to tell anybody about it. Why would you break that?!"

"I didn't mean to! The guys were going through my stuff to look for stuff to blackmail me with; and when I entered the room, they were examining it! I just told them I got it from Dad, nothing else. I swear!"

Barbara looked at James hard. It was obvious he wasn't lying; but she still couldn't get over the fact that he was so careless with it. The Cloak had been passed down for centuries and kept a secret from everybody. How could he have stupidly left his trunk open?

Barbara didn't know what to say to him; so she just started walking towards the castle again. She didn't bother to glance in her brother's direction, knowing that she'd say something she would regret later. When they were about to head to their separate dorms, Barbara stopped James.

"I'm sorry, you just know how important this secret is. We both know the legend."

"I understand, Barb, don't worry. I promise you they'll be the only ones to know about it."

"Okay, just also make sure you don't get it confiscated. If i don't kill you if it gets taken, dad definitely will. And you know mom won't help."

They both hugged each other and parted their separate ways. As Barbara was climbing into her bed, she let her thoughts flood her mind.

That was close! Too close, we can't let anyone know where we got the Invisibility Cloak from!

She sighed, and turned over to her other side to see my trunk. It had a small Deathly Hallow symbol in the corner, signed with her many great grandfather's name: Ignotis Peverill.