53. Wedding Bells

Today was the marker of the rest of her life with a man she had been with since their Hogwarts years.

It was a blessing in Barbara's eyes to have made it to the big day, not just because she and Sirius managed to not kill each other on a daily basis, but because they had survived attacks against Voldemort and his followers. Many of their friends and family suffered, but they were still able to count on this day as a jovial moment, a ray of sun through the pain and sorrow of living through a war against their fellow wizards.

This wasn't how Barbara planned to have her wedding: in secret. Only a few were allowed to come because they were known allies of theirs, friends who hadn't turned on them in Hogwarts nor friends who betrayed them in their lives fighting evil. 

Sirius had James as the best man, of course, and Barbara had Lily as her maid of honor. Angel and two chairs were left empty for Marlene and Elle beside Lily to honor them as bridesmaids. Sirius had Remus, Peter, and a chair for Regulus besides James. 

Though they had their differences in many situations, Barbara wanted Valerie to walk her down the aisle towards her fiancé as a seal of friendship and love towards the Queen. As much as she hated to admit it, no matter how Barbara felt towards Valerie, she couldn't deny that she was a mentor to the young Royal as she embraced her Vampirism.

Three chairs were left open in the front row to commemorate Euphemia and Fleamont Potter as well as Alphard. It was a special request from both of the couple and a request all family members wanted to fulfill. 

As the outdoor space in the backyard had been so beautifully decorated by Dippy and Trixie, guests began to trickle in and find their places at the arranged dinner tables. Rather than have two spaces dedicated to the wedding, it was more useful for the couple to have a quick, convenient celebration for their matrimony. Dumbledore, the Longbottoms, Andromeda, Ted, Nymphadora, and members of the Order of the Phoenix began to take their seats and idly chat as they waited for the ceremony to begin.

"Do I look like a marshmallow dipped itself in gold paint or a chandelier that was sprayed with shaving cream from Zonko's?" Barbara asked Lily and Angel, anxiety filling her voice.

Lily laughed, "Barb, you look beautiful! You need to calm yourself! Sirius would marry you even if you wore a bikini in this cold weather!"

"That's true," Angel commented, "just like how you'd marry that man in the midst of battling three Death Eaters. You two are meant for each other!"

"Speaking of being barking mad," Barbara looked at Angel through the mirror as Lily finished doing her hair, "we have a lot to catch up on, Angel. I know I haven't seen him in years, but I was wondering whatever happened to Andrew? Last I'd known about him, he was able to marry a man in the United Sates but wasn't allowed back into the Vampire community here in the U.K."

"That's true," Angel replied with a slight shift in her voice, "I haven't heard from him for a long time either. I guess it's partially Val's fault, she hasn't been campaigning much for gay rights in the Vampire community even though she supports it. He went over to the U.S.A. because it's legal in a couple states over there and was going to return to England but heard about the war breaking out and decided it was best for them to stay over there."

"I bet it's also because the magical community here isn't completely on board with the concept of same-sex marriage and love," Barbara thought aloud, "I feel quite bad for him; he had to hide his bisexuality for so long only to be accepted when a war breaks out. Pathetic of the community, really."

"Agreed." Lily and Angel chimed in together. Suddenly, there was a knock on the door.

"May I speak to you privately, dear?" Valerie's voice sounded through the door. With a subtle eye-roll and motioning to her bridesmaids it was okay, they opened the door and left Valerie and Barbara in privacy.

Valerie went to sit down on the bride's bed and faced the woman with wide eyes. "You look beautiful, Rome. Absolutely stunning. Sirius won't know what hit him... though he never does," she chuckled. 

The Royal smiled politely. "Why did you use that nickname, Valerie? You only use that when you're desperate or theres something important you wish to discuss with me."

"I used it for the latter, actually," Valerie replied. She rubbed her hands on her dress in anxiousness, then said, "I wanted to apologize to you. I shouldn't have left you the way I did during your last years at Hogwarts. It was unprofessional, impolite, and frankly a terrible thing for a mother-figure to do to their child."

Barbara looked at Valerie, surprised she owned up to her mistakes in such a selfless manner. As a Queen, the Vampire was used to doing things her way or no way at all. The unshed tears in Barbara and Valerie's eyes cemented the idea that the past was finally behind them. It was time to move forward.

"I forgive you."

The women were left in a comfortable atmosphere. "Val," Barbara said after a few more moments of silence, "what will happen with my Vampirism after I marry and have kids?"

"That is the other thing I needed to tell you," Valerie sighed heavily, "and something I've been putting off until the last possible moment. Your ability to go into the Realm will be no more. Seeing as you haven't been there since you were a little girl, I don't think that will be a problem for you. Your ability to turn into Rome will remain because-- half Royal or not-- you still have royal blood in your veins. Thus, your family line will be animagi for generations to come. I must tell you, though, you will lose your wings but have them embedded on your back as a tattoo. Your ability to flash your eyes at enemies and figure out what they are will also be gone. I must now ask you: are you prepared to accept these conditions?"

Barbara didn't even think about it for a moment. "Of course I am! I'm marrying Sirius, not some random pompous snob off the streets in the Vampire Kingdom! He's more important to me than losing a couple of cool tricks."

Valerie smiled. "I'm proud of you, Rome. I really am."

"Well, when in Rome, Val, you marry. So let's hurry up this sentimental part and move onto the fun stuff!"