14. The Feast

When they were in front of the door to the Great Hall, the students were met with an older woman who told them to call her Professor McGonagall. She had her black hair tied up in a tight bun and wore a stern expression. After she explained the different Houses and what they look for in new students, she led them into the Hall.

Barbara and James had identical faces of shock. There were hundreds of floating candles lighting up the room,; and the ceiling looked like the sky with the stars twinkling. A few feet underneath the candles sat four long tables, each representing the different Houses. Towards the front of the Great Hall was another long table, where the teachers were sitting with anticipation.

Barbara turned her head back to the front of the room, and saw Professor McGonagall put an old hat on a stool. Barbara knew what it meant, and listened to its song with curiosity and awe. When it was done, students and teachers alike applauded the hat, thus the sorting commenced.

"When I call your name, please come up and put the Sorting Hat on," Professor McGonagall told the First Years.

"Avery, Alan."

"SLYTHERIN!"

"Black, Sirius." Everyone in the room looked at him, thinking they knew what House he already belonged to. He gulped, and went up to the sorting hat. Barbara and James watched curiously, not knowing about the Black family. It took a couple of minutes, but the Sorting Hat shouted his final answer...

"GRYFFINDOR!"

The Slytherin table was in shock, but the Gryffindor table roared with encouragement and were thrilled that the new Black boy didn't follow in his family's sinister footsteps.

"Evans, Lily." Barbara and Severus looked at each other with an unreadable expression on their faces. No more than a minute later, the Sorting Hat shouted:

"GRYFFINDOR!" Barbara clapped wildly, and then looked at Severus. He has a sad expression on underneath his greasy hair.

"Cheer up, Sevvy, you're still friends with her. The House we're sorted into doesn't mean you can't be friends with her," Barbara whispered. Severus looked at her, and nodded. He didn't like the nickname, but chose to put up with it for the time being.

"Lockhart, Gilderoy."

"RAVENCLAW!"

"Lupin, Remus."

"GRYFFINDOR!"

Remus walked over to the table and took a seat next to Lily.

"Pettigrew, Peter." He was sorted into Gryffindor. Barbara wasn't too happy with that decision, but clapped respectively.

"Potter, James." Barbara gave her brother a quick hug, and stared at her brother with a little worry and curiosity.

So, another Potter? Hmm, you won't be fit for Ravenclaw, no...

"Are you calling me dumb?" James said to the hat aloud. The students laughed. The hat, however, ignored his comment.

No, you aren't a Slytherin either, though you are very cunning and sly. You are extremely loyal to the people you trust, yes... but, overall, you're brave at heart, just like your parents.

Yes. I've made my decision.

"GRYFFINDOR!"

James had a giant smile plastered on his face. Barbara clapped and cheered loudly for her brother; and Severus looked just about ready to kill James.

"Potter, Barbara."

Barbara immediately became self-conscious. She didn't like being stared at. She made her way quickly to the stool; and Professor McGonagall put the hat on her head.

Alright, let's start. You are very cunning and sly, definitely more than your brother. You are extremely smart, and you're definitely a loyal little one, no doubt about that, but you have trust issues, which I can understand, judging by your past.

However, like your brother, you are truly brave at heart. You are meant to be with him. You're Bond with him is the most powerful Bond that I can remember.

I have made my decision.

"GRYFFINDOR!" The Hat shouted. Everyone at the Gryffindor table erupted into cheers, especially James, who was cheering the loudest.

"Congrats, little sis," James said with a wink after she sat down next to him Barbara just rolled her eyes, and smiled at Lily.

"Hello, I'm Alice Prewett," The girl next to Lily said. Barbara saw her when they were leaving the boats, and Barbara shook her hand politely.

The sorting continued, and finally one name was called.

"Snape, Severus." Professor McGonagall said. Lily and Barbara smiled at each other.

As soon as the hat was on his head, it yelled:

"SLYTHERIN!"

Barbara had a small smile on her face. She turned to see Lily's melancholy expression. After everyone was sorted, Dumbledore made a speech.

"I don't want to keep you all waiting, but I have some regular and important reminders that I would like to say. There is a new tree on the campus, called the 'Whomping Willow' and it is very dangerous, so all students are forbidden to go near it. As many of you know, the Forbidden Forest is strictly out of bounds, for all students. I would like to introduce our new Defense Against the Dark Arts Professor, Professor Don," Professor Don stood up, and everyone clapped respectively, "Now, let the feast begin." As soon as the words came out of Dumbledore's mouth, an abundance of different kinds of food appeared on the table.

Barbara was overwhelmed, and looked at James. He nodded and smiled, and went to fill his plate with everything his hands could grasp. Barbara just took a piece of chicken, a scoop of mashed potato and gravy, and some fruit. She knew not to stuff herself like her brother or she'd regret it later.

When dinner was over, dessert made an appearance.

"Oooo! Treacle Tart, my favorite!" Barbara and James said at the same time. James and Barbara smirked at each other, and put some on their plates.

The feast was over; and they were all being led to their dormitories. Lily and Barbara met up with Marlene McKinnon and Mary Macdonald. The girls talked all night until they fell asleep.

James, Sirius, and Remus Lupin met with Peter Pettigrew. Sirius explained to them why everyone was shocked he was in Gryffindor to his fellow roommates after Remus asked him about it. When they were going up to the dorms, Frank Longbottom, the Prefect for Gryffindor, congratulated Sirius politely.

"I come from a pure-blooded, crazy family. Mind you, I'm not against Muggles like them. My older mental cousins Narcissa and Bellatrix are in Slytherin. My favorite cousin, who doesn't approve of our family either, Andromeda, is in Slytherin. She told me the Hat put her there because she asked it to. Didn't want to get in trouble. She was going to go into Ravenclaw, though."

The boys talked a little about their family before they turned off the lights and went to bed. James was excited to start classes the next morning; and he could feel Barbara's excitement as well.