3 - Hide and Seek

Sunset hated everything

Sunset hated everything. She hated that stupid mirror for ever showing her as an alicorn. She hated Celestia for pushing her away instead of just answering her questions. She hated the cops for driving her around so much that she couldn't find her way back to the portal. She hated the kids for thinking she'd ever want to be their friend.

Most of all, she hated herself for letting things go the way they did

She tried to fix it. The first night, once she had her saddle bag back – empty of most of its contents, but she couldn't wait around anymore – she snuck off. It wasn't hard; the room had a window she could climb out of. So, carrying her saddle bag awkwardly, she snuck off into the night.

That didn't work too well. She got hopelessly lost, and the dark city streets were unfamiliar. Even she knew it was a miracle when she was picked up by a police officer and brought back to New Horizons. After that, no one would tell her where she was found. They all seemed to think she'd sneak off again, which was, of course, the plan. Days passed her by, and Sunset realized she was stuck in this world for thirty moons. It had only been a week, but that was much too long – the portal had closed without her.

Which was why she found herself sitting across from Crystal Clear, her psychologist. He had bright cerulean skin, and white hair that went down to around his ears. He always dressed in high-quality suits, which immediately brought to mind her parents' snobbish friends, but he surprised her with his caring nature and charming smile. He didn't talk down to her like she was a child, unlike most adults. Sunset hated him.

"Oh, I don't know," he said in that obnoxiously casual tone. "I think it's alright to waste a little time, once in a while."

Sunset sat with her arms folded. "Maybe for a good book or something like that, but friends? No way."

"I hear you haven't been reading the books Ms. Rose has been leaving for you."

"I don't want to read children's books."

This was normally where people would insist that she was a child. Crystal Clear just smiled and asked plainly, "So what books would you like to read?"

Sunset thought for a minute. "Technology books." Although she had only spent a week living with humans – the proper word, as she finally had learned – Sunset knew enough to know that she probably had used the wrong term. "You know, about electricity, and televisions, and phones and stuff."

Crystal Clear seemed amused by her answer. "Okay, I'll bring you some books like that for our next session." He grabbed a satchel that was lying near his feet and set it on the table. "I hadn't quite expected that answer, to be honest," he said as he rummaged through the bag. "But I did suspect the reason why you didn't want to read the books Ms. Rose was giving you, so I brought you something else."

He handed her a book, which did seem to be a step in the right direction. It was at least a few hundred pages, and didn't have an illustration on every one. Sunset still eyed the cartoonish cover doubtfully. "This is still a kid's book."