5 - Hitting the Bottom

There wasn't a whole lot that Sunset still looked forward to

There wasn't a whole lot that Sunset still looked forward to. She'd been trapped on Earth for over two weeks, and she would be for over two years. She was forced to attend kindergarten and was treated like a child. Worst of all, she was having extreme mood swings brought on by her adult memories and knowledge trying to reconcile with her five-year-old brain.

In every way, Sunset's life was hell. And yet for once, she was actually excited. She sat waiting on her bed, flipping through the juvenile novel that Crystal Clear had left her with. She had read the whole thing three times, and she was ready to show her understanding of every conceivable aspect of the story. And once she did, she would finally be given something that she could actually enjoy – books about the magic of technology and novels that would actually be suitable for her age!

A knock on the door caused her to jump up. Even if it meant a lecture about the fight with Sugar Breeze, it was worth it. She even smiled as she opened the door and greeted Rose Petal. "Hi, Ms. Rose. I'm ready for my appointment."

Seeing her happy for a change, Rose Petal couldn't help but smile. "I see that. There's been a bit of a change of plans, but don't worry. It's a good surprise."

Sunset's smile faltered a little. "I'm still seeing Crystal Clear, right?"

"Yes, deary. But don't bother asking what the surprise is because I'm not telling. You'll just have to come with me to find out."

Slightly apprehensive, Sunset followed the caretaker. It wasn't hard to imagine a surprise she might enjoy – she'd been dying to get her hands on a computer – but if the big surprise wound up being something that would normally appeal to a five-year-old, then Sunset would rather do without.

It wasn't long at all before they came across the first change from their norm. Previously, Rose Petal had always driven her to Crystal Clear's office for their appointments. Today, he was sitting in the foyer. Furthermore, he was talking to Violet Dusk, and Sunset wasn't sure if that was good or bad.

Seeing the two of them side by side did prove interesting. They both wore business suits all the time, but Crystal's were expertly crafted, possibly custom made, and had to be quite expensive. On the other hand, Violet's were well maintained but looked like they probably came from a discount supplier.

Violet was the first person to notice her. "Hello, Sunset. How are you doing?"

"I'm fine," Sunset said. She turned her attention to Crystal Clear, who smiled and waved. "I finished the book, and I'm ready to prove I understood it."

"I see," he said, taking the book as she handed it to him. "I'm afraid we won't have as much time to talk about it as I thought we would, but I did remember our arrangement. I've already left some new books for you with Ms. Rose, and you can tell me all about the one you read while we're driving."

Although she was not entirely comfortable with the fact she wouldn't get to see the books until after Crystal Clear had left, Sunset supposed there wasn't a whole lot she could do about it. She decided instead to focus on the day ahead of them. "So what are we doing today?"