20 - Pushing Boundaries

On some level, Sunset knew she should be excited for the evening

On some level, Sunset knew she should be excited for the evening. It would be her first time going to a concert, and Flash had been right about the band being good. It wasn't like she had any other plans, and even if it did mean hanging out with Flash on a Saturday, he wasn't that bad.

But still, Sunset just couldn't bring herself to be interested. She had thought about cancelling, but she knew it was more important than ever to do something to keep herself preoccupied. And so she found herself lying on her bed, staring blankly at the ceiling but otherwise ready to go.

She resisted the urge for as long as she could, but inevitably Sunset turned her gaze to the bedside table. All of her belongings from Equestria sat on top of it. The only person she had even needed to hide them from was herself, after all, and Sunset was done hiding.

Her eyes settled on the journal, ignoring everything else. She tried to ignore it, but could never manage to do so for long. Sometimes she would flip through it, making sure to be careful around the pages that had been torn out. She had carefully smoothed them over and placed them neatly back in the book, but she was constantly worried they would fall out and be lost.

Today, however, she simply stared. The journal remained motionless, as it had every day since Sunset started at CHS. It was kind of funny. For years, she had been terrified every time she imagined that the book was vibrating, which was a frequent occurrence. Now she would give anything for it to vibrate, for some sign that someone on the other side of the mirror was reaching out to her.

The journal did not vibrate, but eventually there came a knock on the door. "Sunset? It's me. Uh, Flash."

"Come in." Sunset used the moment it took him to open the door to roll her eyes. Even if she didn't recognize his voice, he knew she didn't have any other friends. How many guys did he think came to her room?

By the time he opened the door, she was sitting up. He smiled and blushed. "You, uh, look nice."

Sunset hadn't exactly planned her outfit out too much, honestly. It was just jeans and a hoodie, which she figured would be appropriate for a concert. But the compliment was hardly a surprise, so she just shrugged and smirked. "Thanks. Let's get out of here."

"Sounds good." Flash didn't show any signs of being upset that Sunset hadn't complimented him back. Perhaps he just knew better than to expect it.

They left Sunset's room and made their way outside, stopping only to assure the caretaker at the front desk that Sunset would be back before it was too late.

Outside, Flash's dad was waiting for them. Flash opened the passenger door, folded down the chair, then waited for Sunset to get in before climbing into the seat next to her.

"Hey, Sunset. Feeling better?" Bottled Lightning asked.

Sunset nodded. "Yeah, feeling much better now." It was true, so long as persistent anxiety counted as 'much better' than overwhelming dread.