8 - Memories

It was getting harder to remember; things Sunset told herself she'd never forget were hazy

It was getting harder to remember; things Sunset told herself she'd never forget were hazy. She could remember the vague outline of her life before New Horizons, but only a few details. She could remember conversations, but not the words. Ponies she saw every day, but not their names.

And if there were things she was having difficulty remembering, there were dozens more that she had forgotten. There had to be. She wanted to believe that nothing she forgot was important, but that was hard. Not because she felt like the memories were important, but because it made her wonder if any of it was important.

But even worse than the memories, there were things that Sunset told herself she would never doubt that she was no longer sure of.

And still, she held on. She held on to her history with all she was. It was the only thing in the world that she still cared about. Some days it felt like Equestria was just something her mind had created. A silly five-year-old's pretend land, something to fill in the gaps left by her amnesia. Those days were hard. She was a magical unicorn from another world. She was wealthy, her parents' money paying for everything she wanted. She was the personal student of a princess who moved the sun and moon. She herself was exceptionally powerful, second only to her beloved teacher. It was ridiculous. The exact story a little girl with no family or money would make up to feel better about herself. It was easier to believe it came from her head because there was no way that could be real.

But on other days she could remember. She could close her eyes and it felt like she was still there. Princess Celestia telling her that she deserved the chance to sleep in today, despite their usual early mornings. The feeling of the sun against her fur as she took an uncharacteristic stroll through the garden, allowing the laziness only because of the day. Cadance running into Sunset's room, convinced that they could bond if only because of what day it was. Days when she could barely hold onto Equestria were hard, but there were also days that the memories wouldn't stop pouring in. Those days were far worse.

Then there was the tradition. Every year, without fail. It was something just for the two of them, something so special that even Cadance knew not to try and intrude. Sunset would join her mentor late in the afternoon, and they would climb to the highest point in Celestia's tower. They would stand together on her balcony, and Celestia would lower the sun. The sky would catch fire, burning from red to yellow and every color in between. They wouldn't speak, just sit together watching the sun set.

It was an experience Sunset always hoped to hold on to, a formative part of her past that she couldn't imagine living without. It was also the most painful memory she had, and it was all she could think about.

Sunset had lived at New Horizons for almost a year. She had good days and bad days, but she had managed to make life bearable. Other kids her age learned to leave her alone, while older kids had a soft spot for her and would look out for her if need be. Caretakers usually saw a polite angel of a girl who had difficulty relating to kids her age. Her new psychologist saw a patient that showed marked improvement as time went on, and sessions were dropped from weekly to monthly, and might stop completely within a few more months. Nobody ever talked about Equestria, or brought up her past at all for that matter. Life could be much worse.