6 - Helping Hands

The sun peaked through the window, gently filtering onto Sunset's face

The sun peaked through the window, gently filtering onto Sunset's face. It was her signal to wake up and 'rise with the sun', as Princess Celestia was fond of saying. Sunset wasn't terribly fond of the tradition – just because her cutie mark was a sun certainly didn't mean she was a morning pony – but she did it every day, without complaint.

Well, no complaints to anypony else, in any event. She groaned as she pushed herself off the bed, haphazardly rubbing at her eyes with one hoof. Like the princess herself, Sunset was often up late into the night. Unlike the princess, she didn't have the energy of an alicorn or two thousand years of experience to make the process easier.

She had to drag herself to the mirror, but her mood improved considerably from there. Something about her reflection just seemed better than usual. Not that she could have said what; her mane was nothing short of a mess, and there were bags under her eyes. Still, it just looked right. Good thing, too, since there wasn't much time to fix any of the imperfections. Princess Celestia would be expecting her soon, and Sunset hated making her wait. A teal light shone from her horn, and a hairbrush levitated itself to her. Practiced as she was, she barely had to focus on the thing for it to do its job.

Several minutes later found Sunset turning from the mirror, with a song almost finding its way out of her smiling lips. That wouldn't do, so she allowed herself a moment more to properly compose herself. Imagine if Cadance saw her so much as humming merrily. She'd probably blab about it to Princess Celestia, who would give her that cheesy smile she gave whenever she thought Sunset might actually start caring about friendship, or whatever else she chose to prattle on about.

Which... actually didn't sound so bad. Sunset tried to think about what could possibly have her in such a good mood that she might be willing to suffer from both of Equestria's princesses praising her for – wait, no, Cadance would still be obnoxious. So at least there was some degree of normality in Sunset's world.

With a relatively neutral expression in place, Sunset left her room. The hallway outside was wide and richly decorated. Why had she never noticed how beautiful everything was before? There were deeply colored tapestries that hung on the wall beside bright and elaborate stained glass windows. The sun shone through the windows in a full spectrum of color. Here, red and orange. Over there yellow, green, and blue. Indigo and violet shone to the side.

But as she walked on, the hallway grew narrower. Sunset didn't like it. The carpet faded underhoof, before being replaced by several rugs over hardwood flooring, with red rose petals sprinkled around. The windows had lost their color, although every windowsill had a mismatched flower vase, containing everything from orange marigolds, to yellow sunflowers, to green chrysanthemums. The tapestries were replaced with large photographs in black and white, which depicted the surrounding area in years long since past. The only color came from the flowers that covered everything. Although they had an oddly wild look about them, they seemed to be well cared for. Of course, that was to be expected in Canterlot castle. Flowers even grew out from the hallway itself, with blue hydrangeas dotting the walls and indigo lupines growing from cracks in the ground.