eight

i sighed, leaning against the counter of the record store, tapping my pen on top of the cracked ceramic

i sighed, leaning against the counter of the record store, tapping my pen on top of the cracked ceramic. i glanced at the clock, realizing that i only had about twenty minutes left of my shift. i glance at my keys and smile at the sight of roger's apartment key hanging from the loop.

"just keep it."

i stop and my hand freezes, hovering slightly above the small table with rogers key in hand.

"what do you mean?"

"i mean, keep the key. if you keep it, you've the option of coming by even when i'm not around. then, i get to come home to you more often."

the very thought of this mornings conversation still sends the butterflies that reside in my body on a wild frenzy. i was so stuck in my head that i didn't realize that tyler, the only other worker besides the owner, had walked in to relieve me from my shift.

"i figured since i was twenty minutes late that one time, i'd be twenty minutes early today so you could go off early."

i smile, thanking him and grabbing my things and leaving right after clocking out. i swipe my keys off of the counter and begin walking down the cold streets back home to roger. luckily, roger hadn't lived too far from the shop. only an extra five minutes from the time it usually takes for me to get home. as i was walking, a delicious smell briefly caught my attention. i took a few steps backwards to look into the small bakery. my curiosity getting the best of me, i walked in letting the smells overwhelm my brain. i grabbed a small basket and looked at all of the breads sitting out on the table.

"hello!"

i jumped slightly and turned to look at the girl whom the voice belonged to. she giggled slightly and i smiled at her.

"you snuck up on me." i laughed softly.

"i'm sorry about that. i'm camila. my family and i own the store." her thick accent lacing her words.

"did you just open recently? i've never come across the store before."

she nodded her head at me and walked with me as i browsed the baked goods.

"we're originally from italy. but then we moved to france, then relocated here." she said smiling at me.

i look at the girl with raised eyebrows.

"that's a lot of traveling. how was italy? have you ever been to paris?"

she giggled softly and nodded her head.

"i have been to paris. it's beautiful. it's where my mother and i went to culinary school."

"i've always wanted to go to culinary school. but all i've got is home experience and grandma's cookbooks. i'd like to say i was good, but i can't really speak for myself now can i?" i giggle.