fourteen

the car pulled up the dirt driveway and i thanked the driver as he helped me grab my bag out of the trunk

the car pulled up the dirt driveway and i thanked the driver as he helped me grab my bag out of the trunk. the sun barely cracking through cloudy sky. none of the lights on the farm were on so i had assumed all of the boys were still asleep. assuming they needed their sleep, i walked into what looked like an old barn, but inside was a makeshift kitchen and beautiful makeshift rehearsal space. rogers drums sat gloriously a top the small risers. brian's red special leaning gracefully in its' stand. john's bass glimmering in all its glory. and freddie's piano, softly begging to be touched. i dropped my bag on the couch and walked into the kitchen. knowing those boys, they've probably been living off of bacon and eggs for breakfast and probably something like burgers for lunch and dinner. and poor brian is probably enduring his life of eggs and salads between bread. i open the fridge and chuckle seeing it nearly empty except for a carton of eggs, milk, a few strips of raw bacon, and one last pack of hamburger meat. praising myself for stopping by an early farmers market on the way, i grabbed the small basket and picked out a couple of tomatoes and mushrooms. along with some spinach and the last few strips of bacon. i quickly whipped up some omelettes, making sure to make brian's omelette first, then throwing the bacon in for the other boys. i started the coffee machine after taking a couple minutes to figure it out, and threw some toast in the toaster. i heard a door slam shut and mumbles of voices amidst the crunching of dirt underneath shoes. 

"no, she didn't call. is she here yet?"

"well i smell something delicious. so yes."

the barn doors fly open as i plate rogers omelette. i smile at them and nonchalantly place their cups of coffee onto the table. roger excitedly runs towards me, lifting me up in the air as he twirls me around. i squeal in excitement, wrapping my arms around his neck to keep me secure. he lets me down and presses sloppy kisses all over my face. i groan, pushing him away from me and wiping the saliva off of my face. 

"will you eat your breakfast before it gets cold?"

"yes ma'am."

the toast pops out of the toaster making me jump half a foot in the air, and i grab the last two slices, putting them on a plate and sliding it onto the breakfast bar next to the jam and butter. i leaned against the counter, watching my boys nearly inhale the food. 

"i take it it's good?"

i get a groan in response and decide to take it as a "yes honey, it's oh so delicious. what ever would we do without you? we'd be absolutely nothing and we'd perish."

i smile, taking a sip of the coffee i had made. john grabs his plate, taking it to the sink. he places is into the halfway filled sink and then walks over to hug me. 

"how are you?" he mumbles into my ear. 

i hum in response, and he pulls away. giving me the concerned brother look. i nod my head at him, putting my cup onto the counter and attempting to walk past him. he grabs my arm, raising his eyebrows at me. i look down at my arm and then at him, and he lets go. i give him a small smile, putting my hand on his shoulder and nodding. he sighs in defeat and nods, accepting my answer.