TWELVE | HALLOWEEN HAZARDS

( TWELVE | HALLOWEEN HAZARDS )

• • •

I CANNOT BELIEVE I'M doing this.

Was Venus's first thought as she stood outside of Filch's office, the Marauders hiding behind a stone pillar to the right of her.

It was Halloween and the four boys, Remus being the weariest, had set up Venus to distract Filch as they snuck into his office to retrieve one of their belongings. Venus recalled Peter calling it the 'Marauders map', apparently it was a map of all students and teacher within Hogwarts. Venus thought it was a bit stalker-like to have such a thing, but the boys insisted they only used it for pranking purposes. And when James wanted to 'conveniently' run into Lily Evans.

"Tell me again why I'm doing this?" She whispered fiercely to the four boys, her nerves sending spikes of adrenaline up her veins.

James sighed exasperatedly, "We already discussed this, Venus; for the greater good."

Venus snorted, greater good — Merlin's ass.

The boys claimed they needed the map to pursue their Halloween prank later that day. The plan was to get the map, find a time when Dumbledore was outside of his office, grab a strand of his hair left on a chair of his - hopefully - and create a polyjuice potion to turn everyone into Dumbledore during the Halloween Feast. They'd been planning this since summer.

Before she could come up with a retort for James, Filch stepped out of his office, Mrs. Norris following behind him smoothly.

Venus inhaled sharply, "Hello, sir." She put on a charming smile, one she'd use on her mother at times when asking for something she wanted.

Filch let out a grunt, he was surprised to see Venus, let alone a Ravenclaw, speaking to him. Students that usually spoke to him were Slytherins whom liked to tattle-tale when they saw a Gryffindor breaking the rules, or students from Gryffindor itself. Although Filch learned Gryffindor's mainly spoke to him to distract him from a looming student breaking the rules.

This is why the Marauders chose Venus as bait. After all, who would expect a student from a smart, well respected house to participate in such childish antics?

"Grendahl. Is there a reason you're interrupting my breakfast hour?"

Venus's eyes widened as she feigned an apology, "Oh dear, I'm so sorry. You see, I had this question – about cats." She watched as Filch's eyes light up, "I'm considering getting one for myself, but I'm not quite sure where to begin. There's so many different breeds, and not to mention all the care they need."

In the corner of her eyes Venus could see the four boys slowly sneaking into Filch's - now opened - office and smiled proudly on the inside.

"Well, you must let the cat choose you, not the other way around. Mrs. Norris was exceptionally quick in choosing me, I dare say. Went right up to my leg and started humming a symphony."