Part 8: Kill You Later

*The full book is now available on Amazon. Link in my bio*

___________________

It had been a week since Galaxy Girl’s birthday and the strange encounter with Toxic. "I don't want to be here, I really don't want to be here!" her inner voice griped. With her hands pressed tightly to her sides, she tried her utmost to suppress herself from touching anything or anyone.
Andromeda Avis was standing in for her father at the annual Stark City Founders’ Day Gala. Andromeda; that’s who she was there as, representing Captain Galaxy’s alter ego; Adam Avis. Her father's side of the family were direct descendants of the city’s founder, Catherine Stark.  A portrait of the stern, beautiful 17th century woman was hung on the mantle. At first glance, this woman appeared fierce. Pretty but the mean kind of pretty. Galaxy Girl, however, knew better. She’d met the woman when one of her father's villains had thrown her back in time. She had been helping the Peace League fight the Crimson Chronos when in an effort to distract Captain Galaxy, the villain had singled her out and thrown her back in time to the Wild West era of her hometown. During the time warp, the then fifteen-year-old hero had discovered that her ancestor was much nicer than the impression which the portrait gave off.
Andromeda groaned to herself for what seemed like the millionth time since stepping through the doors of city hall that evening. How she hated these events! But it wasn’t like she’d been given a choice in this matter- her dad was busy off saving some country, planet or solar system. Captain Galaxy had always said it would be good for her to help establish Andromeda into society, because as far as everyone in the room knew, she was the rarely seen, sheltered, and home schooled daughter of a renowned magazine journalist and a stay at home, former football star. Andromeda was a girl who was rarely seen out in public; in fact, the neighbors probably didn't realize that the Avis couple even had a child. Wearing a simple black dress that her mother had laid out for her before she left for Tokyo; she unknowingly glowed with a beautiful form of simplicity. She found dressing up to be a tedious process, and how human girls could do it every day she'd never know. The disguised hero longed for her super suit as she found the dress to be, well, drafty.

The blond hid in the corner of the room keeping her blue eyes low, trying as much as possible to avoid mingling with the humans. She didn't want to accidentally hurt anyone; but more importantly, she really didn't want to get caught in a conversation with one of the suit wearing, penguin looking city council members. The muscular female hero had absolutely no interest in meaningless chit chat about the weather or her family history, and she was bored out of her mind. She noticed that the Mayor had arrived, and was making his rounds greeting the guests at the other end of the dining hall.
"Fancy meeting you here," a familiar cooed behind her. Her crime fighter instincts immediately went from zero to hero as she pivoted around to face him. To her utmost surprise, Andromeda was greeted by the sight of a very tall teenage boy with jet black hair, porcelain skin and unmistakable dark brown eyes; features she'd recognize anywhere. It was Toxic, minus the 80's inspired studded and spiked lime green coat, mask and rockstar-esque makeup. He had his hands in his pockets and a sarcastic grin plastered on his face. She was taken aback; it was the first time in her life that she'd ever seen him fully out of costume.
He was wearing a fitted white dress shirt, black vest, a thin silver tie and the same long black leather coat he had donned on the last time she had seen him. His black curls were brushed back into a short ponytail, but what most surprised his rival was seeing his face without any of the dark dramatic makeup. The villain’s genuinely gleeful grin carried up through his defined cheekbones, straight up to his haunting brown eyes.  This was a completely different side to Toxic; as different as day and night. Standing before her, he looked so much lighter, so much more human; still pale as a sheet, but pleasant. He could certainly fool anyone with this look. Her mouth gaped. "What are you doing here?" she immediately questioned, her voice wavering on the edge of threatening. "Avoiding those..." he shuddered, nodding in the direction of two scantily clad, giggling teenage girls that were eying him like a pair of vultures. Were those dresses or shirts they were wearing? The hems were so short; Andromeda honestly couldn't tell. "That's not what I meant. What are you doing here?” she asked again, raising her voice ever so slightly. "Representing my father's company," he replied with a false look of innocence cultured on his face, his face contorting into the trademark mischievous smile she'd recognize anywhere. "Why, I don't believe we've met."  His tone matched his expression perfectly.
Taking out his hand in a swift motion from his pocket, Toxic did something that he had never ever done as Sylvester before, he gracefully pulled his right glove off and extended his bare hand to her. "Sylvester Stockman." He winked. Andromeda raised an eyebrow, pausing for a moment, not expecting this reaction of his and as such, unsure of what an appropriate response on her part would constitute, but upon seeing his genuine amusement sparkling in his gaze, she couldn't help but smile. "Andromeda Avis." She introduced herself, placing her hand in his, she gave it a firm shake. Their powers nulled each other’s out the instant their skins touched. It was usual, yet so unusual.
His hands were incredibly soft. So this is what a handshake feels like! she thought to herself. Her grip tightened as she relished the fact that she wasn't pulverizing his limb. After all these years, it felt good to actually shake another human. His face twisted a bit in discomfort.  "Easy there, warrior princess." Andromeda quickly dropped his hand. "Sorry," she apologized, embarrassed at her eagerness.     "Ah, Mr. Stockman, just the man I've been wanting to meet." Stark City's Mayor appeared almost out of nowhere beside them. Simultaneously they turned to face him. "Mayor Alfred Gregory." The middle-aged politician with dark skin, salt and pepper hair and kind eyes introduced himself, holding out his hand, completely oblivious to fact that he had been kidnapped and held as bait by this same guy on more occasions than could be counted. Toxic sucked in air, his body tensed and his gaze rapidly darted back and forth between the Mayor's outstretched hand, and his own deadly ungloved one. Was that fear in his eyes? Galaxy Girl had never seen Toxic afraid of anything, but this was different. It wasn't Toxic that was afraid, it was Sylvester.
Ever since he turned 18 several months ago, he had been given no other choice but to become a more prominent face to StockmanCorp, not just another wizard behind the curtain. Appearances had to be made and city meetings involving the company had to be attended.  Needless to say it wasn't his favorite thing to do.
Andromeda worked out that refusing the Mayor's hand wouldn't look very pretty for Stockman Corp. Whatever deal he was trying to push through for his company would be a no-go area if he insulted the mayor straight off the bat by ignoring what would have been a simple handshake. Yet, for once in his life, the mega genius didn't know what to do. Not wanting the best mayor In Stark City history to die, the hero reached out and placed her palm onto Sylvester’s shoulder, her fingers lightly brushing against the exposed skin of his pale neck, siphoning his radiation into her body once more. He stiffened in surprise at her assistance, but without missing a beat he casually took the Mayor's hand and gave it a masculine shake.
"Sylvester Stockman, but you already knew that," he replied, with his best snobby, high society tone. Andromeda dropped her arm the second the Mayor released his. Smiling, the man turned his attention to Andromeda.
"Yes, and you must be Miss Avis." He greeted after his eyes caught sight of the ‘hello my name is’ sticker on her chest. "I am so thankful you could join us." The mayor turned to her, extending his hand again. Now, it was her turn to stiffen up and get nervous, just as she was about to find a way out of it, she felt something warm on the crook of her exposed elbow. The billionaire’s gloveless hand was gently placed there. Her eyes widened as she looked at him, but he simply nodded, so she nervously reached for the Mayor's hand. Don't rip his hand off...don't rip his hand off! Was all she could think of as she went through the motion. Her handshake wasn't even close to Sylvester's calm and practiced one. It was fumbled and nervous, but miraculously she got through it.
"Oh..." The Mayor smiled coyly, darting his eyes from one face to the other as he caught sight of Sylvester's hand placed so familiarly on the girl next to him. The young billionaire immediately drew his hand away and took an awkward step backwards, putting a formal distance between them. Andromeda realized what the Mayor was assuming, and did her best not to gag. Sylvester instantly stuffed his hand back into the glove, encasing his radiation.
"You’re one of those germaphobes, aren't you?" The Mayor inquired with a hint of mocking amusement, nodding to his gloves.  "Oh, the gloves?" Sylvester laughed, displaying his covered hands. "Yes, but I tell people I am a hand model, it’s less embarrassing." He joked, perfectly executing the tone of an air-headed rich guy.  To Andromeda, her villain sounded almost unbelievable, so uneducated, so vain, so… not himself. His alter ego completely blew her mind. Nobody would suspect this billionaire pretty boy of being an evil genius who was bent on world domination.
"Oh, that's quite…interesting." The Mayor did his best to remain polite and respectful. "Nice to finally meet you Miss Avis, I am so glad you could attend this year. It’s a shame your father couldn't make it, but please give my regards to both your parents."  Alfred Gregory turned and disappeared into the crowd. "What was that for?" she asked as soon as the Mayor was without earshot. "You’re welcome." He chuckled arrogantly. Andromeda placed her hands suspiciously over her hips. She couldn't figure out his actions. Her reason for touching him was to prevent him from killing the Mayor; after all, she was the good guy! Saving lives was what she did, but why on earth was he helping her? Dismembering the head of the city would not only reveal her secret identity to the world, it would also land her behind bars for assault, decimate her reputation and completely humiliate her father. It would have been a triple win for Toxic, so it didn’t make sense that he’d helped her.
"I like to keep you guessing. Besides, killing him wouldn’t have been a wise decision since I need him to sign some documents later. Besides, I find our mayor quite interesting, almost refreshing, I mean as far as politicians go. The worst thing that man ever does is on occasion lie to his wife that her cooking is delicious; other than that, he’s super clean!" Andromeda rolled her eyes. Andromeda's phone vibrated from within her purse. She took it out and read the message: “Disturbance and mass vandalism at Clyde City Park, possibly gang related.” Clyde Park was only a little over a block from City Hall. "Nice meeting you Sylvester, but..." she began.
"Duty calls?" he finished for her. “You could say that." She placed the phone back into her purse, and turned for the exit.  "Have fun!" he called after her. "Always do." She replied, grinning.
Galaxy Girl touched down on the sidewalk adjacent to one of the city's most popular parks, glad to be out of that dress and back into her usual attire. The street lights of the nearby parking lot flooded the otherwise dimly lit park with just enough light to get around. Stepping under the brick arch, even in the dark, she could tell that the placed had just been wrecked. She scanned the grass, which she noted to have what resembled hundreds of skid marks, as though someone had spent all day running a broken lawn mower over it. The playground was completely covered in streaks of spray paint.
"Filthy vandals." She grumbled to herself.  Out of the blue, something knocked her to the ground. Stunned, she got back up on her knees just in time to see a set of black and yellow blurs whizzing straight for her, like a cloud of angry yellow jackets.
Speeders! The surprised voice in her head screamed, Galaxy Girl had never seen any in person, but had heard stories from her father .             Suddenly the hero was getting punched and beaten from all directions at once; the punching was with such rapidity that each blow seemed to strike her like a bullet. Galaxy Girl stumbled backwards and they skidded to a stop in front of her. It was a team, a man and a woman, dressed in matching black and yellow super-suits, like hornets. Thick masks with built in protective glasses gave them each a more insect type look. Catching her balance, she instinctively took a defensive stance.
"Fiery little one, don't you agree Quickstep?" The female asked, her voice dripping with a heavy Eastern European accent.  "Yes Cha Cha, her death will be more entertaining than we thought." The man was much bigger and burlier, his accent also foreign. This costume of theirs reminded Andromeda of hornets or bees. They due lunged at her, not letting down on their stream of punches and kicks. She desperately tried to fight back, throwing punches into thin air, but she ended up missing the culprits completely. The female speedster’s high pitched laugh pierced the air, as the black and yellow blurs zipped violently around her.
Fighting back was now a serious problem, as the harder she tried the more vulnerable she became. With every effort she made at a punch, she left her ribs and organs unguarded, and soon she was lying in pain on the cement, curled into the fetal position, trying uselessly to protect herself with her arms. The extreme speed of their attacks hit the hero like bullets. She couldn't think, she couldn't breathe, and the fear and pain had completely taken hold of her body. She heard the sickening sound of her bones snapping and breaking as she was pounded over and over again. Her vision blurred with her own blood and she could feel her eyes starting to swell. She knew she was dying, she could feel it.
"Such a pretty little thing." One of Galaxy Girl’s attackers jeered. She felt her heartbeat slowing down… until it all faded away; and the hero could only hear silence.