Part 29: Memory Lane

"Nice Ride. Why do I get the feeling the title isn't registered to your name?"
Galaxy Girl asked suspiciously.  
"Oh this old thing? I borrowed it... from a friend." He laughed.

"Hah!" She chuckled, shaking her head. "You don't have any other friends besides me, if I do say so myself!" Galaxy Girl placed a hand on the smooth freshly waxed hood of a car whose value could put a dent in world hunger.
"Look, considering the circumstances, if you promise to return this vehicle in perfect condition to this 'friend' of mine, I’d let this one go."  

Toxic opened the passenger door and helped her in. In the distance they heard a quiet groan. It was that rat Dauntless, he was coming to himself already.  Fear flitted across her usually steely blue eyes, a sight that made his stomach churn. He wanted to destroy Dauntless!

"I think Captain Douchebag is starting to wake up. Wait here, I'm going to see if he remembers anything. Don't worry, I won't be seen." Toxic said to the wide-eyed Hero. Since she didn't argue or try to stop him, he closed the car door and slipped back into the alley.

In the distance, Toxic saw Dauntless as he lay on his stomach, his bright red hair falling across the green eyes which slowly blinked open. Pulling his ray gun out of its holster, Toxic expertly shot out the streetlamp above the male hero and pulled back on his missing glove; there was no point emitting such a blinding glow in a dark alley.

The redhead groaned again, obviously groggy and weak.
The bad guy planted his boot firmly on the hero's back, effectively stopping him from turning over to identify who was inflicting pain on him.  With clenched fists, Toxic tried to restrain himself from injuring this guy irreparably.

"Do you remember what you just tried to do to Galaxy Girl?"  
Toxic questioned, stepping down harder into the back beneath the long silver cape.

"Who... who are y- you?" The temporary captive slurred out, clearly wasted.
Excessive Wild Partying.... Marijuana... Consuming Alcohol on duty... Fornication with underage females even when he knew they were not of legal age.... Just a few of the many unheroic things his voice dripped with that Toxic clearly read. This was no genuine hero.
"Answer the question!"

The angry radioactive empath hissed.
"Do you remember what you just did?!?"
"Ughh.... Y-yeah yes I do."
He was now feeling very guilty for what he'd just done. Very guilty.
"Listen to me and listen closely; you dirty cop equivalent of a superhero!" Toxic cursed.
"You will not say one word about seeing her to anyone! She's dead to you understand?! If I hear a single peep about Galaxy Girl being alive from anyone, The Peace League will receive an anonymous tip about the three hundred and fifty thousand dollar gambling debt you've racked up at their expense!"  He threatened. Toxic excelled at blackmail, and was there a better time to use this ability than right now, defending Galaxy?

"How... did you know about that?" Dauntless tried to turn his head to look up at his captor but as planned, he was unable to catch a real glimpse of his face or costume in the dark.
"Well, that's for me to know and for you to lie awake at night; worrying about. Now, have I made myself clear?!"
"Crystal clear." His victim hastily consented. .

"One more thing, Dauntless. I've never had to kill anyone before. I find it beneath me, but if you ever so much as think about touching Galaxy Girl again, I will hunt you down personally, and take great pleasure in watching the life drain out of you."
Toxic concluded, voice menacing; stance opposing. He meant every word to the last, and his tone dripped with palpable power.

At that, the villain turned and walked off, hidden by the cloak of the alley’s darkness.
"Who are you?" Toxic heard him scramble weakly to his knees and call out.
"Me?" He smirked, without turning back as he kept walking on.  
"Right now, I'm just your friendly, neighborhood antihero."

____________________

Enjoy today's chapter guys.
Please dont forget to vote.
You guys rock. :)
-QueenOfGeeks