Part 45: Act Natural

The confused hero was snapped out of her thoughts by the sound of incessant rapping on the door.

"Any time before next year would be great." Toxic ushered sarcastically from the other side of the door.
"Sorry." She apologized, stepping out of the bathroom.
"Never thought you'd wear my colors..." He grins, nodding approvingly to my dress, which matched his aura completely.

"Oh don't get all worked up..."
She rolled her eyes.
"It was the first one I could grab in that giant pile of sparkly things." "Regardless, I like it." The grin still remained on his face.
"But don't get too comfortable wearing this my dear, I have a monopoly on that color." The Villain teased as he adjusts the black cravat tie around his neck.

Well, if I look good, he looks better; thought the Hero as she took a long, endearing look at her counterpart's outfit. His was a midnight blue silk dress shirt, complete with a black vest and cravat; plus a pair of black pants that were just a little too tight on his long legs, in all the right places. He tugged on his black long, leather coat and gloves and together they walked into club in what felt like a practiced bout of silence.

On arrival, the club didn't seem nearly as full as usual, but it didn't matter much because there had been a Tour De Dance elimination round earlier. They were pleasantly surprised to see that instead of there been a DJ, there was a live band, and much to Toxic's unspoken delight, the band playing classic American rock and roll. A neon sign was illuminated up on the stage beside them. It read 'Live Karaoke At Request'.

Across the room, Toxic spotted the Speeders sitting at the bar, but the matching dark eyes of the speeders had already locked onto them the unusual duo had stepped into the club.
Galaxy Girl had also noticed their unwavering glare.
"Do you think they suspect us?" She gulped quietly to Toxic, gripping his hand tightly as he led her towards an empty table.
"Considering the fact that we are both wearing disguise generators, and have done absolutely nothing to arise suspicion, I heavily doubt it."
He whispered, settling down into a chair. She made to sit in the seat beside him but before she got the chance to, he pulled her straight into his lap. Galaxy Girl tensed in surprise.

"Act natural..." He whispered into her ear. His warm breath on the back of her neck once again sent plenty weird shivers down her spine.
"Listen, mortal enemies like us would never show physical affection towards one another." He gently reminded her.
"If by any stroke of luck they have suspected anything before, this show of love will certainly throw them off balance!

"Never?" She teased, raising an eyebrow and leaning back onto him.
"I suppose cuddling at night isn't physical affection then?"
"Hey, that isn't cuddling." He said rather defensively, resting his chin on her shoulder.
"That's me using my powers to help you with your post-traumatic stress nightmares. I can always stop if you'd rather face them." She shuddered at the thought, and he felt it. Toxic wrapped his arms around her waist.

"Why are you helping me with that anyways?" The hero questioned, grabbing his wrists with her hands.
"I'd always thought you'd relish my fear if you ever witnessed it."
"Of course I would, but there's a caveat: only if I was the one who caused the pain." He said in response.
"You see, I feel I have no choice but to help you. Because, honestly I can't stand to see you enveloped in pain or fear that I didn't inflict on you. I've discovered that I'm quite possessive over you, Galaxy Girl. Nobody should hurt you but me. You are mine."
She swore her heart stopped at those last two words.

"M-My designated hero that is..." He quickly added.
"Also, it's kind of nice. You know, not sleeping alone..."
"Yeah, I know." Galaxy Girl agreed. She would have been lying through her teeth if she said she didn't love waking up all warm and wrapped up next to him.

"Thank you...." she said sincerely, grabbing his hand and squeezing it.
"For what?" Toxic asked.
"For always being painfully honest with me, even when you think it will embarrass you. I realized I've never thanked you for that."
"Ditto." He smiled, squeezing her waist in a friendly embrace.

________________________

A/N: Tommorow is my last day at work before it closes for the summer.
This news was dropped on me two weeks ago, and I'm super nervous as I still haven't been able to find a replacement source of employment, (but am also a little excited and relieved about the possibility making it so that I little time off to write more)
Wish me luck and dont forget to vote.
All the best,
-QueenOfGeeks

 All the best,-QueenOfGeeks