(10) goodbye village

After a restless night, we all got up and got ready to leave. Before we could leave Hank asked us if he could say goodbye to his friend.

We all agreed and followed from to a part of the destroyed ship . Where there was a sand pile with items surrounding it. The center piece was a katana imbedded in the center.

I could see Hank was getting a bit emotional , I gave him a pat on the shoulder to ease his shoulders and provide some sort of comfort.

Hank walked towards the memorial and kneeled down. His hand placed on the top.

"This man's name was Gunpei Ikari

"This man's name was Gunpei Ikari. If you take away the uniforms...and the war...Then he became my brother.And we swore we'd never leave each other behind" Hank let out a shaky breathe , tears threatening to spill from his eyes. He closed his eyes and took a big breathe.

He looked calmer and got up. He gave one last look at the grave and looked over at James and I.

A fire of determination reflected in his eyes. "Let's get off this island"  he said as he grabbed the katana and pushed it into its holster. The three of us went to the boat where the others were waiting  for us with out stuff already in.

James and I pitched in with the others to finish up the details. Slivko was under the floor working on the engine. We tightened a few more bolts and then we heard so sort of combustion and looked down to see Slivko as he popped out of the whole. Smoke rising.
"Not yet!- " he yelled, he climbed out.

Mason and I began turning cranks while James was pushing the stuff leaver to start the engine. He had to push it all the way , but the engine was being difficult. The roar of combustion grew loaded as we worked and tried to get the engine to catch.

"Third time's the charm." Slivko said as he shut a panel.
"Here we go." Mason yelled as she saw James pushing the leaver further.
"let's go. let's go.Come on.Yes.Yes!" We al yelled out as the engine stopped choking and began roaring with life.

We al laughed out in relief and happiness.

We are gonna get off the island

"We did it" I said in disbelief , almost like I couldn't believe that we did it . But we did.

I looked over at the land to see all the natives standing and watching us. Our laughs grew quiet as we all saw them. Even though they couldn't speak. We could understand that this was them saying goodbye to us. A sense of sadness fell over us. We weren't gonna see them ever again.

Hank walked towards the edge of the ships he stood in front of the two leaders in blue. I realised that this might be hard for Hank. These people helped him survive and took him in. And now he was leaving them.

I could see that Hank knew he had to say goodbye to them.

"I guess this is good bye." He said with realization .
"Thank you." He said with gratitude, he grew silent as he communicated silently with them, the two leaders bowed their heads as a sign of goodbye.