A Good Twist of Fate

《 2990 Years Ago

"Where are we going, Mommy?" (Y/n) asked as she held her mom's hand when the were walking towards the tall, dull building in front of them. The building had an old gray, cement staircase that lead up the front door. Plastered on the front of the staircase was a large sign saying, "Institution for the Unusual" in large ugly, black font.

The young, bright (E/c) eyed girl didn't understand the meaning of the words, but could tell from the vibe coming from this building that this place was not a good one.

"This place is ugly. Why are we here?" The beady (e/c) eyes stared up at her mother awaiting a simple answer from her.

"Don't worry, (Y/n). This place is going to help you, okay?" her mother replied back, hoping that the intuitive child would take that as an answer and not press on for more. Thankfully she did.

The mother and daughter walked through the doors and was met with a bustling, wide hallway, harboring a vast variety of different people. Some we kids, while some were teenagers. Some were pale and sickly, while some appeared to be normal, but shy.

"Hello! How can I help you?" the receptionist asked politely.

"Hi. I'm here to drop my daughter off for her first session here," (M/n) answered back with a smile as well.

"And what is your daughter's name?"

"(F/n) (L/n)."

The receptionist opened some cabinets of files, looking for the first initial of the girl's last name. She quickly found the file and pulled it out.

"Alrighty! She will be with Dr. Simon in room 309. It's upstair on the hallway to your right. It will be the first door on the left."

"Okay, thank you!" She took her daughter's hand and walked to the room.

"Mom? Why are you dropping me off here?" the young angel inquired curiously.

"They're going to help you with your power. Just listen to them, okay?"

"O-okay," she said nervously.

(M/n) reached the dark red oak door and slowly took in a long sigh, hoping that this would work. Upon entering, they were met with a dull, white room with two individual black sofas facing each other with an old, raggedy chess board in the middle. (M/n) lead her daughter to the back chair closest to the door and sat her down.

"I'll come back later okay? Just wait here until Dr. Simon comes in." She gave her daughter a small kiss on the forehead before letting go of her hand.

"Bye Mommy!" (Y/n) gave her mom one last hug before retreating back to her chair. The click of the door resounded throughout the room, leaving (Y/n) alone with the chessboard and chair.

The young, curious eyes of the secret Nephilim scanned the room's white cushioned walls and the scratchy, rough game. The chestnut board and black chairs contrasted the theme of the pale white in the institutional room.

(Y/N) waited and waited for the doctor that seemed to not show up for the last ten minutes. Fed up with the deafening silence and dull environment, she decided to touch the chess board, despite not knowing how to play.

She got up from her seat and strolled over to the coffee table with her tiny legs. As she neared the game, she noticed something that wasn't there before: a note. The small piece of paper had fancy cursive writing saying:

'Come find me'

'I don't want to find you,' the youthful girl thought simply. The message wasn't signed by anyone, so she had no idea what or who to look for. She opted to just throw the paper back on the table and play with the chess pieces.