Peak of Pride

Rey is being troublesome

Annnnnnd also some indulgent smut for the sake of being extra

Chapter Text

Aside from some soreness and a blossoming bruise under her hairline (and the nagging desire to know what happened after she left), Rey had recovered from Ichara's assault. She was sitting on a table in the medbay in a huff, irritated that no one would take her word for it as droids poked and prodded at her.

"I don't understand how it was even possible. Maybe because the bond works through the force and she used a force power? Kylo was able to choke her on the Falcon."

Poe crossed his arms, doing his best disappointed-father face. "I told you to get me if it was going to happen again, Rey, and you didn't."

"I already told you that's not how it works, Poe! I didn't kriffing know!" She wasn't being entirely truthful. After the intensity of Kylo's reaction to his mother's death, she was both worried for him and curious as to how Ichara's return would be handled. Clearly not well. His anger had been glowing hot at the edge of her awareness ever since, distracting her like the dull ache of a hangnail. She'd stepped into a utility closet to seek him out, and Rose almost tripped over her unconscious form when she went looking for a diatum core for a prjoect.

He sucked on his bottom lip for a minute as he thought things over. "Hmm. Well you're staying with me, then. 24 hour watch. No more of him creeping in your head."

"So you're babysitting me?"

"I'm making the safety of you and the Resistance a priority, Rey. Call it what you want."

She sighed, letting her head fall to her chest as she resigned herself to being a prisoner yet again. "Have you heard anything on the news circuits? Did the First Order release any statements?"

"Nothing other than Hux being a shouty orange windbag as usual, but no, nothing about a change in command."

"She said she was going to kill him. I don't know if she's strong enough, but he was out before I came back."

He shrugged "And? Let her. Hell, maybe they'll kill each other and we'll be the only ones with the Force on our side."

"We have the light on our side, Poe, that's more than they'll ever have, no matter how many minions Kylo finds."

Happy beeps came from the old medical droids, signaling that her examination was over.

"Well they say you're fine, so hop to your feet- I have stuff to do and you're coming with me." Rey slid off the table to follow him through the base. She knew she had to seek Kylo out again to see what happened, but it would be difficult to do now that she was under supervision.
-

Some of Ichara's deepest reflections seemed to be had propped up against smooth black wall of the shower. Everything happened so fast, and her anxiety told her it may be a little too fast.

Organa was dead; her fleet in headless disarray, and Ben Solo would be dead soon.

Soon.

"I should have killed him" she whispered to the water. "When I had the chance I should have just done it."

Sometimes she was her own worst enemy, and the "what-ifs" crept into her mind, determined to suck the joy from her moment of triumph.
What if he escapes, what if Hux turns on you, what if you have a heart attack and drop dead.

"Stop." She put her face under the running water, focusing on the white noise of it as it cascaded down, centering herself. "Tonight is going to be a good night. You've earned it."